cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious Job?

barton-becky
Becky B Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
1 of 16

Are clients supposed to ask us to work outside of proposals on UpWork? I ended a contract with a client, after making sure to notify them and explaining my reason, and they said they understood. Then, they continued to message me, trying to convince me to change my mind, and I finally reluctantly agreed to take on the job again. However, there is still no new proposal or contract in place, and now they are constantly rushing me on something that was, according to the first proposal, supposed to be finished by yesterday, I believe. I do NOT want any of this to reflect on me negatively here on UpWork, but I don't know what I should do. It sounds a little like a scam, or maybe someone looking to get free work, but I'm not sure...

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 16

Becky,

Your account could be suspended, as circumvention is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service.

https://www.upwork.com/legal/

Another violation is giving links to private contact information in your profile or portfolio (although you can give these links in your proposals).

I would contact CS, report the client and get it sorted out.

Edited to add: Also never agree to any work without the hourly tracker in place, or without ensuring that the sum agreed has been funded into escrow if it is a fixed-rate job. Check that the client has a good rating and if payment is verified, although the latter is not that important, unless the client appears to have a record of 'no hire'. Unverified payment becomes important at the contract stage. No verified payment - no work. (I have sometimes taken a risk on this.)

mariawicz5
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
3 of 16

What constitutes as private contact info? Does this include a link to your outside website/online portfolio? I'm new to UpWork and do not want to be accidentally violating any terms of service. Thanks!

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
4 of 16

@Maria A wrote:

What constitutes as private contact info? Does this include a link to your outside website/online portfolio? I'm new to UpWork and do not want to be accidentally violating any terms of service. Thanks!

Anything that links to ways clients can contact you outside of the system.  For example: Skype ID, websites (most websites have a contact me page) anything like that.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 16

Hi Maria,

Katrina is right, freelancers can’t include their email, Skype, or links to sites with a way to contact them outside of Upwork. This includes link to their personal website or link to third-party profile or certification (LinkedIn etc.). You can share these and also online portfolios in your proposals, and in direct communication with clients.

I'd suggest uploading examples of your work to your profile's Portfolio, so clients would be able to see them while checking your profile. Also, please remove the links to your online portfolio from your profile's portfolio samples, to avoid getting your account flagged and limited.

Untitled
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 16

Hi Becky,

I couldn't identify the job you're referring to but you shouldn't have started working without a funded Milestone on the existing or a new contract. Please stop working and ask your client to award you the job, so they would be able to process the payment and you could deliver the work you've done so far. If you client doesn't respond, please take screenshots of your communication and share them with Support.

Untitled
barton-becky
7 of 16
Let me clarify now... ABSOLUTELY NO contact OR communication has occured OUTSIDE of Up work... I made mention of "circumvention" ONLY because that SEEMS to be the client's intention..
kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
8 of 16

No contract, no feedback risk, no work, no money.

barton-becky
9 of 16
AND I ALSO stopped working on the contract WITHOUT EVER STARTING WORK on it. I did so because his increasing urgency made me uncomfortable..
barton-becky
10 of 16
I would honestly be perfectly happy with just ending all contact and never speaking to this client again... they do not owe me anything because I ended the contract before beginning work.. and I would just be able to relax if I did not have to speak with them anymore. I could not get through to CS so I came here to make sure that that was okay for me as a freelancer. I did not want to get in trouble for what I felt was probably a common sense thing to do
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS