🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Suspicious client
Page options
aflores-cruz
Community Member

Suspicious client

I accepted my first job offer yestarday. At first the job proposal was to do some R code for $100, when I asked for clarfication in some points of what was needed, the client offered me to do somethig else for less money, I accepted the offer but the client didn't provide data and keeps asking for my email. 

Besides that, yesterday he told me that the project is due in 2 days and today in the morning told me that he's still looking for the data and that it's not due for tomorrow anymore. I'm convice he's a scammer, how should I proceed?  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Andrés F wrote:

Hi Martina! 

That indeed is a definition of a scammer in this context but not the only one. 

Before accepting the job I had clear what I needed to do for the job, the point is that the client:

1) didn't provide data

2) keeps changing conditions that at first stated as no negociable i.e due date 

3) keeps asking for personal information. 

What would be very helpful to know, contrary to your reply, is if there's a way to report this suspicious behaviur.

You can always report a client, but I don't think any of what you listed in your OP is against Upwork's TOS.

To me the client just sounds really disorganized.

You can clarify that you only communicate via Upwork if you wish and that you don't give out your email. I would be very professional and pleasant in saying this. Don't build bad blood unnecessarily in the middle of a contract. I'm curious - what did other freelancers say about this client (in the client's feedback)? 

FTR, I do get your frustration. Once or twice I've had clients who started a contract and then apparently had no idea what they wanted, despite having described what sounded like a standard project to me (and initially sounded clear in the job description). And I've had clients who locked me into a contract and then took their sweet time to actually start the work. Unless things get ridiculous (like a month without the work starting) I wouldn't be jumping the gun. I'd just be focusing on my other projects and checking back in periodically until the project started. Just my two cents.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Andrés F wrote:

I accepted my first job offer yestarday. At first the job proposal was to do some R code for $100, when I asked for clarfication in some points of what was needed, the client offered me to do somethig else for less money, I accepted the offer but the client didn't provide data and keeps asking for my email. 

Besides that, yesterday he told me that the project is due in 2 days and today in the morning told me that he's still looking for the data and that it's not due for tomorrow anymore. I'm convice he's a scammer, how should I proceed?  

He seems to be the opposite of a scammer (scammer = trying to get free work.) This client seems not to have any tasks for you to do, which likely will end up in a no money paid contract for you, which is bad for your rating, but entirely on you if you accepted the job without having clear tasks to perform. 

aflores-cruz
Community Member

Hi Martina! 

Before accepting the job I had clear what I needed to do for the job, the point is that the client:

1) didn't provide data

What would be very helpful to know, contrary to your reply, is if there's a way to report this suspicious behaviur.

Andrés F wrote:

Hi Martina! 

1) didn't provide data

You can always report a client, but I don't think any of what you listed in your OP is against Upwork's TOS.

To me the client just sounds really disorganized.

You can clarify that you only communicate via Upwork if you wish and that you don't give out your email. I would be very professional and pleasant in saying this. Don't build bad blood unnecessarily in the middle of a contract. I'm curious - what did other freelancers say about this client (in the client's feedback)? 

FTR, I do get your frustration. Once or twice I've had clients who started a contract and then apparently had no idea what they wanted, despite having described what sounded like a standard project to me (and initially sounded clear in the job description). And I've had clients who locked me into a contract and then took their sweet time to actually start the work. Unless things get ridiculous (like a month without the work starting) I wouldn't be jumping the gun. I'd just be focusing on my other projects and checking back in periodically until the project started. Just my two cents.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members