Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious client

tatianart
Ace Contributor
Tatiana T Member Since: Jul 19, 2012
1 of 11

Hi for everyone here!

What do you do with such kind of client behavior ? I am quite long here, but this is the first time for me…

Project included design of 40 slides for presentation, fixed price. I made sketches, sent 20 ready slides for review. And got reply that client is very happy with it and he wants to get ready projects as editable pdf document. I did it ( it mean I completed finished project). After job was done, he starts to find minor, but endless things need to be corrected (and final project every time need to be corrected, edited and redone). Design was based on approved sketches!

Any way I made all corrections (few times, I am not happy about it because endless corrections were not included) and he didn't like design completely based on his exact demands on the last slide! He regularly send me screenshots with writing what he want to change and after I making this changes he reject design. .. he ask to change every small detail exactly like he wants, and then say that is “total mess”…

From my point of view, it looks like he is not planning to pay at all. I don't know what to do in this case. I already wrote to support, but I have no hope that they can do something in this case. What would you do on my place?

Kind regards

Tatiana

karinskold
Community Guru
Karin S Member Since: Dec 6, 2009
2 of 11

Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope you will be payed.

Was it an hour job or fixed price ?

I had a couple of bad client experiences as well the last week. And it is always annoying and difficult when you feel you did a good job.

Wish you good luck !

prospect39
Community Leader
Peter G Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
3 of 11

Do you have a written contract - one that specifies the maximum number of revisions?  If not, are there any written communications with this client in which you both agree to a maximum number?

In my experience, the only way to prevent "scope creep" or "revisions purgatory" is to agree on the number of changes before starting work.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 11

I always start giving long deadlines when people start with endliess revisions. 1-2 is OK but when they get into the 3+ range, I start telling them that I can do it in 3+ days. It's sometimes true. I'm too busy to deal with it right away, but anyway that's what I do. When it gets too inconvenient, they tend to think twice about sending it back again to wait 3+ days.

tatianart
Ace Contributor
5 of 11

Thank you for reply!

It is very disappointing, and looks like can happen with anyone (with any experience and background)

Everything is written in my profile - the second change in design is the last one and need to be paid... I never offer endless corrections. I just very interested to see what will happen next and wish all freelancer -do not take fixed price contracts here!

I'll be waiting for support reply

Take care and be aware of such clients...:-)

prospect39
Community Leader
6 of 11

You might want to write that into your proposals.  (I indicate in every proposal that 2 sets of revisions are included with my fee.)

Some buyers don't bother to look at profiles.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
7 of 11

Even though the number of revisions is listed in your profile, it's a VERY good idea to list them in the contract that you send to the client and have them approve that contract.

At this point unless a stop is put to it, you're going to be doing endless revisions. I think, that this client knows some "tricks" and I'm not saying he did this, but he may have pulled this on other contractors and gotten away with it. His intentions may be to keep sending the job back until you get so discusted that you close the contract and refund the money in escrow.

You can message him saying that you agree to this one last revision and any other revisions or rewrites/redo's will constitute extra cost. (and you can then, detail how many extra revisions and what they will cost, etc. ) Be prepared though, for him giving you bad feedback.

IF you get negative feedback, it goes both ways. You can reply by typing "You were very happy and approved the sketches I submitted, afterwards though you sent them back numerous times asking for revisions. I've done those revisions, above and beyond what was originally agreed on. Unfortortunatelly I can not continue to work for free and because of that, you feel you have to get back at me by giving me negative feedback. I wish you luck in finding another contractors who will work for free for you in exchange for great feedback. "

prospect39
Community Leader
8 of 11

Some clients try to take advantage of freelancers.  But most simply lose track of the revisions because they're focused on the end product, not the process.  (I know.  I've been on the other side of the freelancer/client fence.)

It's the job of the freelancer to set boundaries and then enforce them if need be.  

I've had to enforce my revisions rules many times.  Not one client ever left bad feedback in response.  And in a few cases, I earned more money for doing the extra work.

tatianart
Ace Contributor
9 of 11

Hi!

Yes, it is worth to list the number of revisions in contracts. Actually, it is worth to ask upfront payment for fixed price project as well. And as a result – inevitable reducing of projects awarded for you as freelancer.

I just can’t accept the client position – all project was accepted, all his marks were corrected (a lot of times), but he continue to find problems in 1 slide from 40, completely redone according his comments!

No extra money earned , no logic discussion – he just regards me like a SLAVE, who need to complete any of his changes of mood. And I can’t do anything. I can’t publish his name here, I can’t give others more information about this client. His rating was ok, I always investigate freelancer feedbacks leaved to client.

I got answer from support, that my case will be investigated, because of his multiple rejections to pay. I had a lot of fixed price and hourly paid jobs here, but so arrogant and rude attitude I have met the first time.

Is it normal to give clients so comfortable environment to behave like this, or may be something need to be done to stop it?

Have a nice day and happy, save working!

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
10 of 11

@Tatiana T wrote:

Hi!

Yes, it is worth to list the number of revisions in contracts. Actually, it is worth to ask upfront payment for fixed price project as well. And as a result – inevitable reducing of projects awarded for you as freelancer.

I just can’t accept the client position – all project was accepted, all his marks were corrected (a lot of times), but he continue to find problems in 1 slide from 40, completely redone according his comments!

If it is a fixed-price project, Tatiana, I think that there is no need for you to ask for any payment since it is already funded.  Are you referring to asking for payment or approval for the work that you rendered?

@Tatiana T wrote:

No extra money earned , no logic discussion – he just regards me like a SLAVE, who need to complete any of his changes of mood. And I can’t do anything. I can’t publish his name here, I can’t give others more information about this client. His rating was ok, I always investigate freelancer feedbacks leaved to client.

I understand (or at least, I can glean it from your post) how devastated you must feel right now.  It seems that your main concern is that your client is unwilling to pay you.  How is that so?  Isn't he approving your work?  Is it possible that your client is having a rough day?  What good will it do to you if you publish his name?  Are you sure it's his real name?

@Tatiana T wrote:

Is it normal to give clients so comfortable environment to behave like this, or may be something need to be done to stop it?

Have a nice day and happy, save working!

No.  I don't even click the "Request payment" button these days.  I think my client and I have come to a mutual agreement as regards this matter.  He trusts me to do the work well and I trust him to approve my work and release payment as soon as possible.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS