cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious job post from verified client.

Mahmudullah Y Member Since: Dec 8, 2015
1 of 9

I applied for a job  posted by a verified client (**Edited for Community Guidelines**). A few hours later I got a message that gave me two links and to follow instructions. The links led me to UpWork's log in page and the other link downloaded three web links which led me to log in pages of Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail. The client is also interviewing more than 100 freelancers. I assume the same message was sent to all of them. This looks very suspicious. I think this is a ploy to steal accounts and also the payments old freelancers might have in their accounts.

This is the message:  

"Thanks for response first of all see sample file from this link **Edited for Community Guidelines**
After this download HTML from this link **Edited for Community Guidelines** and connect us so we will go further.
"

I hope something is done about this.

Thanks.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 9

There is another thread on this. The scammers come out on the weekends. They know that there is a skeleton crew and today is a holiday in the US so they have more time to scam.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 9

Please make sure you report it via a support ticket immediately.

EDITED: It has already been removed

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 9

It's possible that they are phishing providers and then using the provider's client account to post it more so they can spread the lurrrrrve of stealing money from some poor provider.

I really hate these people and hope the diaf.

Diego A Member Since: May 8, 2016
5 of 9

the same happened with me.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
6 of 9

Mahmudullah,

Thanks for your post. Just so you know, "verified" only means the person or entity in question has money. How they got it, how they get it, and whether you will ever see any of it or will end up giving them more cannot be predicted from verification.

Best,

Michael

This widget could not be displayed.
7 of 9
This widget could not be displayed.

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Mahmudullah,

Thanks for your post. Just so you know, "verified" only means the person or entity in question has money. How they got it, how they get it, and whether you will ever see any of it or will end up giving them more cannot be predicted from verification.

Best,

Michael

The card is legitimate but does not belong to the client. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 9

Hi Mahmudullah,

Thanks for reporting. The job has already been removed from the markeplace and actions taken against the account.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Emmanuel S Member Since: Mar 17, 2016
9 of 9

Some clients are really bad. That's why I don't click on every link I see.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS