🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suspicious of a scam AFTER accepting the offe...
Page options
91913dc9
Community Member

Suspicious of a scam AFTER accepting the offer

I'm concerned that a job offer I accepted is a scam as it breaks several UpWork's Terms of Service. I accepted the offer, but now that I have been given more information and I'm suspicious of its legitimacy I would like to cancel the contract. Could I get more information on how I can navigate this situation? And how this will affect my profile?

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Andrea B wrote:

I'm concerned that a job offer I accepted is a scam as it breaks several UpWork's Terms of Service.

Why did you accept a job offer that violates several of Upwork's terms of service?

91913dc9
Community Member

Hi Petra, it wasn't entirely obvious that this could be a scam but after receiving more information I became more suspicious. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Could I get more information on how I can navigate this situation?"

Yes.

re: "And how this will affect my profile?"

Probably not. But it depends on the details.

Tell us:

Why do you think this job is a scam?
Why do you think this job violates Upwork TOS?

Hi Preston, They're asking for personal information on their own database, asking me to create a email account which they will have access to and, "save your login credential and payment details saving you time throughout the process." It's a complex proccess and they mention in some parts they will have access to my accounts and in some other parts that they won't. Still unsure if it is or isn't a scam. There's a lot of contridactory information. I would like to end the contract without damaging my profile.

re: "They're asking for personal information on their own database"

What kind of personal information?

After I have been hired with an Upwork contract, there is information I will be happy to share. And information that I will not share.

Favorite food?
I like macaroni salad. So what? I'll tell them.

Social security number?
Um... No.

re: "asking me to create a email account which they will have access to"

On a number of occasions I have had to create a new email account for a job on Upwork after I have been hired..

This is fine.

re: "save your login credential... saving you time throughout the process."

It is fine to create an job-specific email account and provide the client with credentials for that account.

re: "save your login credential and payment details saving you time throughout the process."

Asking for payment details sounds like a scam.

But what do you mean by that exactly?

"There is a field to fill out my hourly rate."

That is fine. Just answer the question. They know your hourly rate anyway.

"They want my banking details so they can send me money directly."

That is not allowed by Upwork.

And it is a scam.

re: " It's a complex proccess and they mention in some parts they will have access to my accounts and in some other parts that they won't."

If you create an email account on their system, then they should have access to your account. So what?

If you create a job-specific email account on another system, such as gmail, then you can provide them with access credentials. So what? The only thing you will be using this account for is to discuss their job. And that information belongs to them anyway, because you are logging time on an hourly contract, and everything you do while logging time for their contract belongs to them, including answering their questions via email.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andrea,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about this report and the client you're referring to? I'll be sure to check it and assist accordingly. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members