cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious, sexist and disrespectful client - PLEASE REPORT.

nanomoreno
Alonso M Member Since: Jul 24, 2017
1 of 8

Hello Everyone.

I'm Alonso Moreno, sound engineer and music producer.

I have almost 3 years working here in Upwork, with great pleasure.

However this afternoon, I received an invitation of a client who had no profile picture nor full name, and invited me to do a simple audio job.

Client: **edited for Community Guidelines**

Everything went on smoothly until he asked me to deliver a full quality sample of the completed work (in the interview) I offered a lesser quality sample just to see if the client approved it, so we could move on to a contract for the final and full quality product.

My surprise was the attitude of the employer as soon as I let him know what I thought and offered him an option, my english is not "ultra basic" and I used a direct a professional language, he was very disrespectful and suspicous saying " you have to trust me first" "I don't know what the **bleep** I'll do with it anyway", you are full of baggage, and so on.

It all came from nowhere, and was kind of shocking.

I did not see a " report" option right in the chat, so I'm writing you with screenshots, and a PDF of the chat as a proof.

This kind of people are really unpleasant, and really makes us wanna stop working, the rest of the day, they should be banned.

I hope I could help the community by pointing out this individual and prevent the same experiences in the future for more freelancers.

I attached a screenshot of a part of the chat, the full chat and a .pdf with the chat.

Thanks in advance.

Alonso Moreno. 
Audio engineer, drummer and music producer.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

very unprofessional attitude.

Have a great day.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 8

lol I would have started ignoring him when he told me how long it should take. Nobody tells me how long it will take or how much it should cost. Clients ping me, ask me how long/cost and then I tell them and they can decide if it's yay or nay.

And I don't really care what other freelancers charge or what they do or how long it takes them.

All of these things were red flags IMO

nanomoreno
3 of 8

Hello Jennifer, you are right.

I saw those red flags coming at me at supersonic speed, but I just kept on chatting to know more about it.

For future opportunities ignoring them won't take long, for sure.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 8

Alonso, what do you mean when you say: "I have almost 3 years working here in Upwork"? Your first job here is from December 2016. Do you,have more than one account?

You just fall for the usual newbie trap. This: "Simple audio patch, 5min job. Easy 5 star review. Pays $10. Many other jobs (and easy 5 star reviews) available for right candidate." means I want to scam you. Greenhorns fall into this just like you did.

You kept the communication open with this bozo for way too long. When this happens, you report the client immediately and you move on.

The forums are not the place for this. Customer support is here for handling this kind of situations.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
nanomoreno
5 of 8

Hello Rene.
Indeed, my first job is from December 2016, but (If I'm not mistaken) I had 1 year looking for jobs ocasionally when Upwork was Odesk, just finding some leisure time within my full time work,  until I got the first one.
And no, I do not have more than one account.

Also you are completely right, I fell right in, I'm already learning from this experience.

I also sent a report to customer support, but I wanted to know what the community opinion to this kind of situations is.
In fact you are letting me know yours, so this is very helpful for me.

Thank you for your reply.

Alonso.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
6 of 8

Short exchange, maybe a phone call, then a contract or no work. End of discussion. Report, block, move on. 

e_luneborg
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
7 of 8

I wouldn't even talk to the client for that long unless he paid me an hourly rate to do it.

Unless it is for a long term job with a high budget...

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 8

Hi Alonso, 

We're sorry that you had a bad experience with your client. I checked your ticket and can see that the team has escalated your concern to the proper deparment. 

I had to edit your post because it violated our Community Guidelines. By posting in the community you agree not to -

• Include names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing,
  • Post email content, chat transcripts or other private communication.

We'd appreciate it if you could follow the guidelines when posting in the community in the future. Thank you!

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS