🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Systematic sales problem, need advice
Page options
alexandernovikov
Community Member

Systematic sales problem, need advice

A frequent recurring pattern in my communication with clients is that: a client comes and expects conversation to happen at that very instant. But, i have some work hours and some off hours, i am not online all the time - moreover, i may in some cases need presence of my team members to do a better pitch.

So, i try to schedule, but more often than not i simply get no response at all: when i suggest a time, or ask them to suggest a time for the conversation, there is no response to that at all. Then a client appears again 12-48 hours later at absolutely random moment (sometimes in the middle of the night) and tries to discuss the project again. I again respond when i get online with the same thing asking to schedule... and usually never hear from the client again. They either don't hire or hire someone else - probably someone who's online 24x7 to talk anytime.

What would be the good wordings to make people actually pay attention to scheduling and stick with the schedules?

Thank you for any advice!

4 REPLIES 4
alexandernovikov
Community Member

Thing is, do these hours *really* matter? My average duration of sales cycle is about 2 months. It is very rarely less than a week, and my personal record was 8 months from first contact to signing... Usually just coming to same page as to what has to be done, requires 3-4 extended sessions... Let alone if it's advisable to be built (i don't sign to build things i know will fail), and what it takes to build...

We live in an instant gratification world. My problem is not just that clients want to talk immediately, but they want their jobs done immediately as well. I guess that if a client wants to talk to somebody, and you're not available but another freelancer is, then the client will talk to them. The trick is to make the client believe that it's worth waiting for you.

Have to say, there is something to that. I noticed that sometimes clients lose interest in their projects halfways even as projects are proceeding as discussed, and on agreed fixed price budget. Not technically anything to complain at because i still get paid, but just sad. This is how never closed projects in my history appear 😞

Sadly, this is just due to nature of many clients: walk-in wannabes, not real business.

lysis10
Community Member

When I'm super busy and on the Tracker, I bulk respond after I'm done with work. Sometimes that could be a couple days later cuz I'm just too tired but meh whatever.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members