🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: TEST SAMPLES BEFORE HIRING
Page options
daa07a6a
Community Member

TEST SAMPLES BEFORE HIRING

Hi, So I sent in an application to a job that looked pretty interesting at first. Took 6 credits from me...

Apparently she wants to see a 45 second test video of what I can do (no real instructions and is asking to be creative). Also she has very little idea of WHAT she wants to do and is offering 1500$ for a completed project.

The more I think about it and the more I write about it I think she’s just wasting my time and is trying to get free work.

I was thinking of putting a watermark on the test but after reading up on these kinds of things I think I might be getting scammed and I don’t have the time to be working for nothing.

She just joined and is offering something that’s too good to be true, which probably it is.

I’m practically new to upwork... do I send in the test with a watermark to see what happens or do you think it’s a scam and I shouldn’t waste my time?

Thanks for the help
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Dani W:

As freelancers on Upwork, we do not work for free. It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a client to ask freelancers to work for free.

If a client wants to see samples of your work, that is what your portfolio is for.

If a client is not really providing any instructions, and wants you to be creative, then it does not appear she is asking you to work on her project.

You can refer her to your portfolio. You can also refer her to links where you have your sample videos posted.

You are not expected to create an entirely new video for the client.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
luce-neidert
Community Member

You're not supposed to provide free work on Upwork, it's against TOS. The best solution is to just flag the job offer and add that she's asking for free work.

True enough we should not send free work to clients but often time client would like too see if your are capable of doing the task before hiring. By wanting to see a sample piece or portfolio. From my understanding we are not too use any outside link or website I am confused. If you send a sample it does not have too the job details but something relevant or similar showing you can do the job. I noticed I have been submitting proposal and not getting a response. So if I do send a piece am I too put a watermark on my work.

Damon F wrote:

True enough we should not send free work to clients but often time client would like too see if your are capable of doing the task before hiring. By wanting to see a sample piece or portfolio. From my understanding we are not too use any outside link or website I am confused. If you send a sample it does not have too the job details but something relevant or similar showing you can do the job. I noticed I have been submitting proposal and not getting a response. So if I do send a piece am I too put a watermark on my work.

It's only on your profile that you can't link to an outside site or provide contact information. It is perfectly fine to link the client to your portfolio or examples of work you have done in your proposal or in messaging later.

florydev
Community Member

Dani W wrote:
Hi, So I sent in an application to a job that looked pretty interesting at first. Took 6 credits from me...

Apparently she wants to see a 45 second test video of what I can do (no real instructions and is asking to be creative). Also she has very little idea of WHAT she wants to do and is offering 1500$ for a completed project.

The more I think about it and the more I write about it I think she’s just wasting my time and is trying to get free work.

I was thinking of putting a watermark on the test but after reading up on these kinds of things I think I might be getting scammed and I don’t have the time to be working for nothing.

She just joined and is offering something that’s too good to be true, which probably it is.

I’m practically new to upwork... do I send in the test with a watermark to see what happens or do you think it’s a scam and I shouldn’t waste my time?

Thanks for the help

Not a video person but can't you do 45 seconds of test video about something else not whatever she wants.  Something that highlights what you do but isn't something she can use?

Then you could use that test video for other clients.

Just a thought.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Dani W:

As freelancers on Upwork, we do not work for free. It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a client to ask freelancers to work for free.

If a client wants to see samples of your work, that is what your portfolio is for.

If a client is not really providing any instructions, and wants you to be creative, then it does not appear she is asking you to work on her project.

You can refer her to your portfolio. You can also refer her to links where you have your sample videos posted.

You are not expected to create an entirely new video for the client.

richardsmith94
Community Member

Dani W wrote:

Thanks for the help

Hi Dani. I suspect that she's seeing an opportunity from the opening lines in your profile. You shouldn't be apologising or explaining to anyone why you havn't done any work yet...

Send a sample of your work as others have suggested, or tell them to do one.

Richard S wrote:

Dani W wrote:
Hi Dani. I suspect that she's seeing an opportunity from the opening lines in your profile. You shouldn't be apologising or explaining to anyone why you havn't done any work yet...

Yeah, seconded, delete that the instant you read this.  That has to go man, what if they don't even NOTICE it is your first job on Upwork, what if they don't even care, you just made them notice and care.

Roger that, deleted

Dani W wrote:
Roger that, deleted

And, seriously not picking on you, but edit the quarter of face of the other person out of your photo.  My photo sucks, I need to go get a new one (I also need to get better looking), but that little bit of face looks wrong to me.

Mark F wrote:

Dani W wrote:
Roger that, deleted

And, seriously not picking on you, but edit the quarter of face of the other person out of your photo.  My photo sucks, I need to go get a new one (I also need to get better looking), but that little bit of face looks wrong to me.

No Mark, seriously, you look very nice!

versailles
Community Member

Your competitors love your profile intro:

Please excuse the fact that I have no jobs on this platform, I've had an account for a long time but I am just starting to use Upwork for production/Editing jobs.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
joansands
Community Member

Dani - Do NOT do any free work for anyone. Refer anyone who asks to your portfolio of samples. And get rid of the first sentence in your profile. You do not have to make any excuses. Just say all the wonderful things you can do for someone.

colettelewis
Community Member

Dani W wrote:

Thanks for the help

As Preston says. 

Don't do any kind of unpaid test. You (politely) say to the client, that you are happy to do a series of trials for an agreed price, once a contract has been set up through Upwork. Otherwise give the client a wide berth and keep applying. 

Dani W wrote:

No clear idea = nightmare coming.

And you can provide a test as long as it is paid. Your time is valuable and video work takes quite a bit.

re: "No clear idea = nightmare coming."

I disagree. I would say this:

No clear idea = hourly contract

As long as a client is willing to pay my rate, they don't need a clear idea. I can help them form clear ideas.

Not every client emerges fully formed from the head of Zeus.

Preston H wrote:

re: "No clear idea = nightmare coming."

I disagree. I would say this:

No clear idea = hourly contract

As long as a client is willing to pay my rate, they don't need a clear idea. I can help them form clear ideas.

Not every client emerges fully formed from the head of Zeus.

Sure, I help them form ideas too and even teach them how to use Upwork, but I think the OP was referring to a fixed-price contract. I might be wrong.

re: "Sure, I help them form ideas too and even teach them how to use Upwork, but I think the OP was referring to a fixed-price contract. I might be wrong."

The more that all of us can be unified in being strict about fixed-price contracts, the better the platform will be for all freelancers AND clients.

A fixed-price contract is for a specific deliverable, agreed-upon beforehand.

Properly executed, a fixed-price contract does not allow for changing one's mind or being wishy-washy.

Ideally, this is how things should go:

Client: "Hmmm, I'm not sure now. I think maybe it would be better to change this and do it a different way than we originally discussed."

Freelancer: "That's fine. You can close the current contract and we can set up a new contract for that."

Client: "The task is only 50% done. Are you sure you want me to close the current contract?"

Freelancer: "It is your choice. We can change things and go in the new direction, or we can complete the contract as originally discussed."

Client: "I understand. I really want to go in the new direction. I have released the full escrow payment for the contract and closed it. Now I will set up a new hourly contract that we can used to try out some of these new ideas."

Freelancer: "That will work. I'll look for your new contract offer."

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dani, 

The Community members have shared valuable tips on how you can work around clients who requests for free test work, and how you can improve your profile. 

I would like to add that you may want to read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please also pay close attention to the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork
mradulovic
Community Member

Hello Dani, everyone that said you should under no circumstances accept unpaid test work is 100% correct, that being said I have been asked to do test work twice before and I insisted that the test be paid (via contract and milestone), and both times I got hired for the actual job. So what I am saying is test work is OK as long as it's paid and can lead to you landing your next job. Clients asking for any kind of freebie, test or whatever should get flagged immediately.

banabina
Community Member

YEs
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths