cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: THE SUCCESS SYSTEM IS ONLY GEARED TO HOURLY JOBS, NOT FIXED PRICE JOBS

Judd K Member Since: Oct 5, 2015
1 of 21

i AM A GRANT WRITER AND THE SUCCESS SYTEM IS IS UNINTENTIONLY UNFAIRLY INTERPRETING MY STATS:NUMBER OF HOURS OF WORK. IT ONLY REEFLECTS HOURLY JOBS E.G., IT SAYS I HAVE 30 HOURS FOR 19 JOBS--AT AN AVERAGE OF 10 TO 15 PER GRANT APPLICATION, THE ACTUAL STAT SHOULD BE CLOSER TO 285 HOURS..

; THE FACTOR OF FURTHER WORK WITH A CLIENTFAILS DOES NOT TO FACTOR IN  THAT GRANT WRITING IS A A ONE JOB JOB I.E., THERE ARE A FINITE NUMBER OF GRANTS THAT A CLIENT QUALIFIES FOR,, AND THE JOB ENTAILS ALL OF THOSE GRANT APPLICATIONS RATHER THEN AS SEPARATE JOBS.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
2 of 21

I agree with you 110%. I did a "rant" (Hour Requirements) in the clients section about this. Upwork is "geared" more toward hourly jobs then fixed rate for a number of reasons. And you can be perfectly correct in your assumption but that's the way Upwork is going to operate, like it or not.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 21

All caps is cruise control for cool.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 21

Judd,

I don't think this is correct. I am certainly not top rated, but I do have a 100% JSS (for the moment!), and I have only six recorded hours against hundreds of hours worked on a fixed-rate basis.

Edited to add: It is considered bad mannered by internauts to write in capital letters, which is seen as agressive shouting. I have used it effectively sometimes! Smiley Wink

Community Leader
Mikila S Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
5 of 21

I get where Judd is coming from.

I also get where Kathy is coming from.

For eg. a job requirement might state "at least 100 hours". A 'seasoned' freelancer may have say, 30 hours of work and 50 fixed jobs. The 50 fixed jobs have amounted to say, almost 300 hours...except that these hours aren't accounted for with 'fixed-price' jobs (because they're fixed-price and well, one could argue that 'hourly contracts' and the time tracker are there for a reason).

... back to my point

Therefore, that freelancer is already put at a 'disadvantage' (although sometimes you just have to prove yourself in the cover letter and show the client why you're the best for that job) because s/he doesn't have the required hours.

Then again, the proposal may just end up in the 'hidden' section. The joy! Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Dietmar Thomas B Member Since: Aug 11, 2015
6 of 21

This is going to be a hard one folks, just woke up and I am still infusing my first cup of coffee (1/2 Liter).

Judd K, I GRANT that you are, basically correct. As a translator that abhors hourly contracts I have, of course been reminiscing about this. It would be nice if there were a clear line drawn between the two, hourly and fixed price contract. When it comes to the profile, this line exists because hours and total amount of jobs are specified. That they are not clearly separated is kind of misleading though.

What kicks me every time is the moment I want to submit a proposal, when I have to fill in my rate! I have zero hourly jobs, as a fact I only have 4 jobs up to now (50% long-term clients). I am tied to my desk by the one job now, so that will not change for another month or so. What I am saying is, I would like to fill in the space for my rate with a fixed rate or a per word rate but I am prevented from doing so. As a client it would bug me like hell if I opened a proposal for $15/hour (which is perfect for the client) only to find out that this guy is after a per word rate or fixed rate. Same goes for the opposite, a client will have to open several proposals to find the per word or fixed rate he desires.

If I would have done, let us say, 1 job out of 4 on hourly and billed 100 hours for it, the way it displays tells the client what exactly? That I work 25 hours on a job! That is not representing facts!

The JSS was introduced for better transparency for the client and a clearer system of differentiation. How about something good along that line for the three categories that I know of?

1. Hourly jobs

1. Fixed price jobs

1. Per word rate jobs

Wouldn't that be it?

Have a grand day everybody

Thomas

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 21

The Job Success Score does not factor in the number of hours worked at all.

Do you write your grants the way you write your forum posts by the way? If not, why write a forum post in this manner?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 21

If you're in a 1970s movie there is nothing wrong with writing in ALL CAPS.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 21

SORRY, I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID! Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 21

In all seriousness, yes it is true that fixed-rate contracts do not contribute hours toward a profile's display of hours. This is not going to change.

But clients generally understand the difference between fixed-rate and hourly contracts, and they are not going to make judgements about how long it takes a contractor to do projects based on some attempt to interpolate the number of jobs completed and the number of hours.

Also, the job Success Score really is designed to reward successful client outcomes regardless of whether or not a contractor is working fixed-rate or hourly contracts.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both contract types, but contractors can have great JSS and be successful on Upwork regardless of which type of contract they typically use.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS