cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THE SUCCESS SYSTEM IS ONLY GEARED TO HOURLY JOBS, NOT FIXED PRICE JOBS

Ace Contributor
Fatima A Member Since: Sep 26, 2013
11 of 21

I don't think the JSS distinguishes between hourly jobs or fixed rate jobs.

The point at which Upwork as a platform favors hourly jobs over fixed rate ones is, in my opinion, when clients create a job post: they have the option to set the numbers of hours their preferred freelancer would have worked, but there appears to be no way to set preference by number of jobs completed. 

If someone has 50 jobs but 0 hours (no hourly contracts) then how would the client signal a preference for this person, who may actually have the experience level the client is looking for? In the absence of setting prefence by # of jobs, would the average client understand that by setting # of hours as a preferred qualification, they may actually be selecting against some of the people they want applying to this job?

Experience gained through fixed price projects should help the freelancer the same way as hourly job experience does. How does Upwork's system make sure such freelancers get recommended to the client and/or receive notifications about such jobs where the client only has the option to select for experience by setting a number of hours? The average client isn't selecting for hourly vs fixed price contracts here! The reason they're choosing this option is because they think it means experience. I think it's asking too much of clients to assume they understand the nuances of the system and know that "hours worked" may not actually represent total hours/jobs worked.

Clients should have more options. Hourly+fixed price qualification requirements should also be able to complement each other--clients should be able to choose whether they want someone who's worked at least 100 hours AND 10 jobs, or someone who's worked at least 100 hours OR 10 jobs. (And maybe they should be able to select by earnings too...that could probably help everyone narrow things down to a more accurate expected rate/fee.)

And here I am, typing away as if my suggestions make a difference. Smiley Tongue

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
12 of 21

THE SUCCESS SYSTEM IS ONLY GEARED TO HOURLY JOBS, NOT FIXED PRICE JOBS: NO IT IS NOT!

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
13 of 21

Preferred Qualifications

Specify the qualifications you're looking for in a successful application. Freelancers may still apply if they do not meet your preferences, but they will be clearly notified that they are at a disadvantage.

This is the message that Upwork displays when a contractor who may have 300 FIXED rate jobs, (but no hourly rate jobs) applies to a job posting with a requirement os x amount of hours. Not only that, but the client gets a notification that the contractor does not meet their requirements.

Add to that, there is no easy one click way of changing a job from hourly to fixed rate.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
14 of 21

Kathy T wrote:

Preferred Qualifications

Specify the qualifications you're looking for in a successful application. Freelancers may still apply if they do not meet your preferences, but they will be clearly notified that they are at a disadvantage.

This is the message that Upwork displays when a contractor who may have 300 FIXED rate jobs, (but no hourly rate jobs) applies to a job posting with a requirement os x amount of hours. Not only that, but the client gets a notification that the contractor does not meet their requirements.

Add to that, there is no easy one click way of changing a job from hourly to fixed rate.

Kathy,

Why are you so hung up about this?

In the real world, when applying for jobs, one rarely ever is the answer to a client's prayers. If you meet 70% of a client's requirements, you are usually considered a solid candidate.

Clients advertise for the ideal freelancer - full well knowing, that this is an abstract idea they came up with at the drawing table. That person might not exist. 

Granted, there are some ignorant clients out there - but the ones I want to work for are able to digest that kind of info and won't get sidetracked by a "lack of hourly jobs". Because, as has been said before, they don't really care. They are actually looking for any kind of experience - and if that is displayed on your profile, I wouldn't worry that much.

Clients don't monitor Upwork's rating systems and all that cr*p half as closely as we do. At least none of my clients know what I am talking about most of the time when trying to make them 'aware' of the system.

I don't want to come across like an esoteric guru (I.Am.Not), but maybe just let that one slide, let it go. I don't believe it seriously hampers people's chances of getting jobs.

It's just as redundant as asking for a certain star rating average... which they still can and which is also still being displayed in profile previews... even though Upwork allegedly got rid of that for so many reasons.

Best,

Ela

Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
15 of 21

Frankly, I couldn't care less what the system is skewed towards. Being confronted -- as I was today -- with clients looking for Upworkers with a minimum of 100 hours under their belt, I somehow don't think the system is the problem. (I mean, does this sort of client think I work only on Upwork?)

BTW: Capital letters are not only the conventional representation of shouting, they are also difficult to read! (The Romans didn't have no internet.)

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 21

Expressing a preference for contractors with a minimum number of hous is a legitimate choice clients may make.

This is not really a "problem" worth worrying about for two reasons:

a) contractors can choose to ignore this preference and apply to a job anyway.

b) very few clients actually include this stipulation in their job postings.

Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
17 of 21

Not a problem for me at all. Only for the client. Ha ha. Just won't get my proposal, sorry. (First lesson you are taught when learning to apply for jobs is "always read the text and follow the instructions".)

I'm stubborn, I know. Had a client asking which Samsung phone is the newest model. Had the choice of

a) grovelling and replying that I think it's the S6 Edge+, "if I am not mistaken", or

b) being honest and stating that I don't know because I use a Sony.

Guess which one I chose. (Oops. 2 connects wasted.)

Suggestions for further (more clever) replies welcome.

Judd K Member Since: Oct 5, 2015
18 of 21

I appreciate all your posts. By the way sorry for the all caps--I was in a shouting mood. Thanks for understanding

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 21

Hi Judd,

Thank you very much for your post and sharing your feedback. It's not possible for us to include time spent working on fixed-price contracts in total hours on freelancer's profile, because it is rarely tracked by the Team App. However, we are working on better ways to present freelancers' experience with fixed-price contracts.

Additionally, I can confirm that the type of the contract, hourly or fixed-price, makes no difference for the Job Success score.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
20 of 21

However strange it may seem....I have never found that I was at an unfair disadvantage due to lack of hours when competing for either fixed rate or hourly jobs that state a certain number of hours worked...for which I do not have said amount of hours.

Edited to mention that the number of hours I DO have came about by accident, when a long-standing, fixed priced client asked me to change to hourly so that they wouldn't have the hassle of fixing milestones, as they had no idea as to the number of documents they would need me to edit at a time.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS