🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: TOP RATED
Page options
deslie_anne
Community Member

TOP RATED

Hi UpWork Freelancers, I have an observation for up to 3 weeks under the TOP Rated program. 

Before reaching Top Rated, I am being hired constantly by clients with much more experience than most clients that I have right now. I assume, UpWork algorithm match new clients to Top Rated freelancers to provide an initially good experience that would keep them in the platform. However this is taking a toll on us freelancers as new clients tend to spend less given the fact that they are new to the platform. 

I am also experiencing low job feed traffic on my account. I don't agree that this is what the Top Rated Program gives back to the freelancers after helping upwork create an image of providing quality work and dealing with clients with professionalism. 

2 REPLIES 2
kinector
Community Member

Deslie, it looks like most of your clients appreciate your work very much, but not all. Otherwise your JSS would be 100% by now. Easily.

The basic problem with Top Rated is that you're perhaps assumed to have more skill and more expensive services than the "normal" freelancers.

Ask yourself, does your profile and proposals address that expectation of Top Rated.

And why on earth is someone calling you "Timo" in their review? (It's my brother's name, so that's why I picked it up... 🙄)
petra_r
Community Member

Deslie Anne M wrote:

I assume, UpWork algorithm match new clients to Top Rated freelancers to provide an initially good experience that would keep them in the platform. 

Don't assume. It rarely works well.

Deslie Anne M wrote:

However this is taking a toll on us freelancers as new clients tend to spend less given the fact that they are new to the platform. 

In my (10 year, 300++ contracts) experience the opposite is true if anything.

Deslie Anne M wrote:

I am also experiencing low job feed traffic on my account.  

It's December and rolling up to the holidays. It has nothing to do with you being top rated.

It'll be interesting to see if you find things better when your JSS drops below 90% and you lose top rated status again.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members