🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » TOS Clarification on 3rd parties
Page options
rmeske
Community Member

TOS Clarification on 3rd parties

Hello,

Since I could not find a way of directly contacting anyone at Upwork regarding clarification of the TOS, I am reaching out to the community in hopes of getting clarification.

As part of my consulting clients often ask for recommendations for 3rd party solutions.  This may be web or applicaiton hosting, tool vendors, etc.  

The TOS indicates that the third party services need to be billed through the Upwork interface. 

I know the following example is taking it to the extreeme, but the TOS is not clear when it comes to 3rd parties being involved in a project.  

If I advise a client that they sign up for hosting at company X or buy tool Y, do I need to inform them that they will need to pay for it through me and I will buy it for them?

Something a little more specific, if I sign them up on a free platform, and they then later to upgrade their account with that platform after my services are complete, how does that come into play?

I want to make sure I am clear on what I can and cannot do when 3rd parties might be involved before I start actually providing this type of consulting through Upwork.

1 REPLY 1
a_lipsey
Community Member

Ronald M wrote:

Hello,

Since I could not find a way of directly contacting anyone at Upwork regarding clarification of the TOS, I am reaching out to the community in hopes of getting clarification.

As part of my consulting clients often ask for recommendations for 3rd party solutions.  This may be web or applicaiton hosting, tool vendors, etc.  

The TOS indicates that the third party services need to be billed through the Upwork interface. 

I know the following example is taking it to the extreeme, but the TOS is not clear when it comes to 3rd parties being involved in a project.  

If I advise a client that they sign up for hosting at company X or buy tool Y, do I need to inform them that they will need to pay for it through me and I will buy it for them?

Something a little more specific, if I sign them up on a free platform, and they then later to upgrade their account with that platform after my services are complete, how does that come into play?

I want to make sure I am clear on what I can and cannot do when 3rd parties might be involved before I start actually providing this type of consulting through Upwork.

The best way to handle 3rd party expenses are to ask the client to pay for those things directly and send you the credential or license. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths