TROUBLE WITH SMM: What should I do If a client asks to increase followers on a social media accoun?

A few days back my account was flagged by Upwork for accepting the offer of my client to have 10,000 followers on her instagram. They marked it as spamming. I got a message from Upwork that this is against their Job Post policy. They also said that if I accept similar work in the future, this may be counted against me and may result to account suspension. This made me very anxious! But, lately I saw a lot of job posts in which clients are asking for followers on their social channels. Moreover, the reality is that, client who wants to build social media accounts always asks for followers. And my question is, if I do legitimate social network marketing and I gain followers on an account  then, where's the problem in that? I'm really very confused about this. Also, I'm even feeling anxious to apply to new jobs as I fear of getting my accout suspended. I think I need a brief clarification about which jobs are safe and which are not especially when a client asks for increasing the number of followers on a social media account. I've gone through Upwork terms and policies but, still haven't got any answer. Is there anyone here who can guide me through this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please, note that a few comments have been removed from this thread and it has been closed for further replies. Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and respectful toward other perticipants.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mahmud Hasan,

I checked your ticket and see our agent explained in detail the reasons why you received the notifications, listed the prohibited marketing techniques and pointed to specific details in your communication with the client and on your profile. Please refer to this section of Upwork ToS and check our agent's replies on your ticket for further details. Feel free to follow up on your ticket if you need further clarification as we can't discuss policy cases in the Community.

Untitled
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please, note that a few comments have been removed from this thread and it has been closed for further replies. Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and respectful toward other perticipants.

~ Valeria
Upwork