cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Taking Contracts off Upwork

Caitlyn S Member Since: Apr 29, 2017
1 of 13

I have read through upwork's policies and it seems if a client wants to take their contract with you off of Upwork, they have to submit a notice and pay a fee. How can you know (as a freelancer) that this has been done? The client that wants to hire me states that they have done what upwork needs them to do to create a contract outside upwork, but the job is still in my active proposals section. I don't want to violate Upwork's terms of service. I just want to make sure this company is following the rules so it won't be an issue in the future. 

Thank you,

Caitlyn

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 13

hmmm is this guy chatting with you on google hangouts?

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
3 of 13

Tell them that you'll need to receive a notification from customer support that the opt-out fee has been paid. (Hint: It hasn't)

Don't go to Google Hangouts--almost all "clients" who use GH are scammers. This is particularly true if  you are a new freelancer. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 13

Caitlyn S wrote:

I have read through upwork's policies and it seems if a client wants to take their contract with you off of Upwork, they have to submit a notice and pay a fee. How can you know (as a freelancer) that this has been done? The client that wants to hire me states that they have done what upwork needs them to do to create a contract outside upwork, but the job is still in my active proposals section. I don't want to violate Upwork's terms of service. I just want to make sure this company is following the rules so it won't be an issue in the future. 

I would hazard a guess that this is 99.9999999999999999999% certain to be a scam.

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

5 of 13

Yeah, that sounds like what happened. How do I report it? 

Community Guru
6 of 13

Caitlyn S wrote:

Yeah, that sounds like what happened. How do I report it? 

If you mean google hangouts, don't deposit the check, chica.

7 of 13

No, it was just email. How do I report on upwork?

Community Guru
8 of 13

Caitlyn S wrote:

No, it was just email. How do I report on upwork?

ah, ok. There should be a report button in the top-right corner of the job page IIRC. 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 13

Caitlyn, it's very rare for a client to actually do that. The minimum buy-out fee is $3,500, and depending on the amount of work you're doing with the client, it could be much more. Unless it's a long-term, high-dollar relationship, it's virtually always more expensive for the client to buy you out than it is to go through Upwork. Even then, it's not worth it from a strictly financial perspective--it would only make sense if the client wanted to hire you as a regular employee or something like that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 13

Does the client have a verified Payment method?

If not, they certainly (!!) have not paid Upwork as it would be impossible to do.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS