🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Taking too long to download client's docu...
Page options
khitho1
Community Member

Taking too long to download client's document

Hi Upwork,

I notice that recently it is taking too long (too much time )to download client's document.

There is nothing wrong with my internet speed (meaning: i can stream youtube video just fine without any lag)

What is happening? Please advise.

Thank you

Leong Khit

17 REPLIES 17
prestonhunter
Community Member

Leong, Upwork is definitely not a file transfer tool. I can't imagine relying on it for that sort of thing. Don't try to fix this. Don't contact customer support.

Simply use any of your favorite file transfer methods that work reliably.

FTP

Dropbox

email

WeTransfer

USB flash drive

Google Drive

Microsoft One Drive

etc.

Preston,

I understand that upwork is not a file transfer tool.

What i mean is that as a freelancer, when first browsering for jobs on the job board, the clients will alway post their initial requirements be it written text or doc, pdf, jpeg file. Recently, I notice that it is taking too long to open those initial files for viewing.

Do you understand my point?

(There is nothing wrong with my internet connection / speed)

Noted on subsequent communication can be done using other file transfer method, but my point is the very inital first viewing of client file ,the download speed is very slow.

Please advise

Thanks

Leong

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Leong, 

Could you please confirm if the file never downloads when this happens?

~ Avery
Upwork
khitho1
Community Member

Hi Avery,

The client's initial desctiption file size (of less than 1Mb) take a very long time (say around 5 minutes) to download.

Previously, it takes me less than 10 seconds to download the file of similar file size.

Thanks

Leong Khit

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Leong,

Could you please reach out to me via PM (Click on my name) with more details about the file name and the message room where you received it? 
Also could you please confirm if you have experienced the same problem with other files or just this one? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi,

I'm also having the same issue. How to fix it?

Sahul

Hi Sahul Hameed,

Could you please try using a different browser or after clearing your cache and cookies? 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne,

I've tried all possible ways but still, I'm facing the issue. Please note that the problem only the Upwork platform.

Regards,

Sahul

Hi Sahul,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your files. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
dpenaa
Community Member

Hi. Im having the same issue as Leong

It happens both in the job search when I try to download an attached document by the potential client and also in the messages (desktop app and chrome) when current clients send me files. I know it's only upwork's website speed because I ask the clients to send the files via wetransfer or any other service and they download ok. 

This becomes an issue because the speed is so slow, sometimes the downlaod just stops, and I can never open the file, making it impossible to respond to a job posting that refers to those files.

I know this is not a clean-cache kind of problem but would be nice to know if this is a widespread issue or just random in some accounts.

Hi Diego,

Have you tried to use a different browser? Is the error the same?

~ Joanne
Upwork
dpenaa
Community Member

Hey Joanne.

Yes I've tried different browsers and its still really slow

To give you an idea I can normally download a 100mb file in 30 secs from any other service. When I download it from upwork's chat or a job posting it can take 10-20 minutes. Sometimes the download stops and gets cancelled.

Thanks for asking.

Hi Diego,

Thanks for following up. I'm sorry to hear that it is still not working. I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
a1eb016d
Community Member

Hi, Everyone!
I am also having the same issue as Leong & Diego.

I have also tried different browsers but no avail.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad Naimul,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with the link to the file you're referring to. I'll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
mrchrisdesign
Community Member

I too am having the same problem, did anyone get a fix or can help please

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths