🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Talking about client quality
Page options
hermanng
Community Member

Talking about client quality

This is an axample of how quality of clients is going downhill - I took a job that was advertized as less than 30 hours/week less than 3 months - when I got the contract offer it was for 5 hours and less than 1 week - due to the current job situation here I accepted and did not complain I completed the setup for her AdWord campaign and than she gave me another 5 hours (so the total was 10 hours) and I designes 2 landing pages for her - the campaign started running for 2 days -  yesterday she stopped the contract saying that she ran out of budget and gave me 4 stars saying that she cannot judge my ability because she cannot see the results yet - well here is my  answer to her comment and the 4 stars she gave - 

This is a joke, their previous campaigns had over 90% bounce rate and a CPC of $3.00 to $4.80 - the campaign I created already shows a bounce rate of 20% and a CPC of well below $2.00 - because of that, with he mini budget of $20.00/day she gets a lot more visitors
I also provided her with free images and 2 landing page designs
Campaign setup + keyword research + 2 landing page designs and all that in 10 hours of work and she feels she cannot give me 5 stars because she has not seen any results yet?????

In addition to that, the original job offer was miss-leading - 30 hours/week less than 3 months - I took the contract anyway and did not complain once

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

You are frustrated and feel that you have been treated unfairly. To put that into a response to your feedback is the worst thing you could have done. It would have been better for you and your upwork career if you decided to whack you bed with a tennis racket, start watching Game of Thrones (I haven't seen it, is it any good?), going for a walk, or cooking a meal, or all of the above. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
8f30256c
Community Member

Hi Hermann,

Not all clients are equal, but anything that ends in a 5-star review will help you get closer to the better ones.

Think about your initial project as an audition. Not only is the client auditioning you, but you're also auditioning the client. Try and have an initial scope that is finite, and afterward review and decide if you guys even want to keep working together.

If you don't, then move on and audition more clients. If you find a keeper every couple times you try a new client, it'll be no time until you have a full roster.

Just do good work, keep the initial engagements small and stay positive. You'll find great ones.

kat303
Community Member

IMO I think the way you replied, the tone of your reply and the notion that this is what a client will receive if they give you anything less then 5 starts, was uncalled for. You reply will probably hurt you more then the 3.75 star review. The client stated quite simply that in their opinion, the results were not in, and that is why they couldn't rate you any higher. Whether that's true or not, anyone reading that would understand their reasoning. 

Not all clients have the same interpretation of what 5, 4, 3, etc stars represent to them. You may go to a restaurant and give that place a 5 star review and someone else, having the same experience would rate it 4 stars.

Having said all the above, if you didn't like the review you got, you are top rated and could remove both the public and private feedback so no one would see it, and it wouldn't affect your JSS. Doing that would have been so much better then your 1st and last lines in your feedback reply

hermanng
Community Member

I had completed the work and before the campaign had a chance to really run
she stopped the contract - reason was that her budget was used up. Than she
gives me such a rubbish rating even though on the first day the campaign
showed a bounce rate of only 20% compared to her 90% before and a CPC of
below $2.00 compared to 3.50 and 4.50 before. How can she say no results
yet?

I believe in fairness, if I screw up I admit it and accept the
consequences, but what this woman is doing is neither fair nor professional

petra_r
Community Member

Hermann M wrote:
I had completed the work and before the campaign had a chance to really run
she stopped the contract - reason was that her budget was used up. Than she
gives me such a rubbish rating

Yup. Unreasonable client, we all get those.

You could have just used your perk to have it removed. Flying into a rage did you no good at all, your response is far more damaging than the feedback you responded to. By a looooong way.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You are frustrated and feel that you have been treated unfairly. To put that into a response to your feedback is the worst thing you could have done. It would have been better for you and your upwork career if you decided to whack you bed with a tennis racket, start watching Game of Thrones (I haven't seen it, is it any good?), going for a walk, or cooking a meal, or all of the above. 

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Thanks, you are right and I had my respons removed - she actually thinks her feedback was not bad at all and that she wants to hire me again (yes sure, fat chance) so I'm trying to get her to change her feedback

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths