🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Tax Bracket and Estimated Taxes
Page options
173cbaed
Community Member

Tax Bracket and Estimated Taxes

I had a full-time company job at the start of 2022 up until June and began fully freelancing in July. I know that my tax bracket (Federal Income) and self-employment tax factors into calclulating what I need to pay for Q3. Do I need to account for the several months of income I made while I was working for a company full-time or would I just account for the income I received during June through August in order to determine my tax bracket for estimated taxes?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

If you are talking about US federal income taxes, calculating estimated tax requires you to estimate the total income tax you'll pay for 2022, which is calculated using the actual amount you've earned year-to-date (from all sources), plus the income you expect to earn through 12/31/22. That will determine your tax bracket for all of 2022. Deduct whatever amount was withheld from your paycheck by your previous employer and then you'll have the total amount of estimated taxes you need to pay spread over the remaining two estimated tax payments to the IRS due on September 15, 2021 and January 15, 2022.

For more information;

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/estimated-taxes

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AndreaG

Hi James,

You can find some information on how to Report Income from Upwork here. That said, please know that Upwork cannot provide any tax advice so we would recommend you consult a local expert.

~Andrea
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

If you are talking about US federal income taxes, calculating estimated tax requires you to estimate the total income tax you'll pay for 2022, which is calculated using the actual amount you've earned year-to-date (from all sources), plus the income you expect to earn through 12/31/22. That will determine your tax bracket for all of 2022. Deduct whatever amount was withheld from your paycheck by your previous employer and then you'll have the total amount of estimated taxes you need to pay spread over the remaining two estimated tax payments to the IRS due on September 15, 2021 and January 15, 2022.

For more information;

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/estimated-taxes

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members