🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Tax Identification Number for Sri Lankan indi...
Page options
gmakul
Community Member

Tax Identification Number for Sri Lankan individual

Hello,

I'm acutally hoping any Sri Lankan individual who has completed the W-8BEN form successfully can help me here.

I got stuck at the Tax Identification Number. I don't know what that is for a Sri Lankan individual. Since I'm an indivdual person should I enter my NIC number? 

I contacted upwork support about this, and I was told to fill in a similar form that had the same question,  Foreign tax identifying number (see screenshot). And then email it to tax records upwork. This is the form link I was given, https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-w-8-ben

Can anyone please guide me on how to fill this? Am I supposed to register at the IRD in Sri Lanka? I've never filed any forms for any individual person taxes.

Thank You

11 REPLIES 11
PradeepH

Hi O. G. G. M,

Thank you for your message. I see that our support team has already advised you about how to proceed if you do not have the Tax Identification Number. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
gmakul
Community Member

Hi Pradeep,

Yes they did follow up. But what they gave me was another form to fill. It has the same question, what is my TIN. 

As a Sri Lankan individual, I want to know whether I should put my NIC as the TIN.

Thank You

Hi Iroshan,

Thank you for this information. I asked my bank and they said that you only have to put a TIN if you are registered for tax purposes. I only work as a freelancer, so should I register as well?

4c3aba25
Community Member

Hi  O. G. G. M,

Were you able to resolve this issue? I'm also currently having the same issue you have.

Thanks with regards

Hi Nadil,

I'm also having this issue now. If you find out anything, please keep a note.

Thank you.

Hi Samitha,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
zahrans
Community Member

Download that PDF, fill in that W8BEN form and email it to the Upwork tax department.

(some sections like the Foreign Tax Identification Number, simply leave as blank)

They will reply back in 2-3 days.

Sometimes my arms bend back.....
8fd20d8e
Community Member

Hi O. G. G. M,

Have you managed to solve this issue and proceed forward? as I'm also facing this same issue and am not quite sure on how to proceed further.

I'm trying to complete my account verification process for my Upwork account. However, I've come across an issue where I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to fill in. As I'm a resident of Sri Lanka and not quite familiar with the W-8 tax forms or any tax-related information aside from my country, I'm not sure what I should fill in this part (attached below).

I would like to request help to proceed further on this matter.

Thank you

Hi Inura,

Thank you for reaching out to us. The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. Upwork and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork.

You will need to input the following information:

759e32fa_0-1704119962865.png

For more information, please check this help article.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths