🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Tax Information
Page options
c_hijlkema
Community Member

Tax Information

When filling out tax information, it gives the option to select "I am a US person" or I am not a US person".

I indeed am, however my business is registered in the Netherlands because I live and work here.  I have not earned income from a US source in almost 3 years.  I have a VAT number for my business here, so would it get messy combining Dutch / US tax laws with agreeing that I am a US person?  My fear is that I would be double taxed!

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

You should talk to your local tax experts and authorities. Clearly there are two ways to go with this decision. You should only choose based on what works best for you, as long as it is a legally permissible choice.

Upwork is a software system, not a legal authority, so it doesn't determine what you are legally allowed to do, and it can't tell you what the best choice for yourself is.

What have you been doing about your taxes for the past three years? I know that when I moved from Canada to the UK, I had to fill out forms to declare that I was no longer a resident and had no intention of returning, otherwise I would have been subject to double taxation. That was a long time ago and obviously the rules for the U.S. might be different, but didn't you get any advice about taxation when you moved and set up a business in a different country?
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Christiana,

You can find some information about classification of taxpayers for U.S. tax purposes here. You may also want to discuss it with your accountant or tax advisor as Preston suggested.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members