🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Tax Question—Regarding Forms
Page options
literarymaiden
Community Member

Tax Question—Regarding Forms

Hi, community,

I have all of my information down, and I just need to figure out which form is best to file under. I didn't meet the threshold, so I did not receive forms from Upwork. Should I go with a 1099-K, or what would be best?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for your time.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
richardrader
Community Member

Upwork only gives 1099k if you make over $20,000 AND over 200 transactions although that will change next year.

I am not a tax professional. I can't tell you how do do your taxes. But I claim all UpWork income and expenses under my schedule C. I use turbotax and it does everything for me, I simply put my income and expenses.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
richardrader
Community Member

Upwork only gives 1099k if you make over $20,000 AND over 200 transactions although that will change next year.

I am not a tax professional. I can't tell you how do do your taxes. But I claim all UpWork income and expenses under my schedule C. I use turbotax and it does everything for me, I simply put my income and expenses.

Hi, Richard,

Thank you for your exceptionally helpful information and for taking the time to write.

All the best to you!

Hi Richard,
By next year, does it mean that 1099's will be issued jan 2022 for money earned in 2021? Or 2023 for 2022 earnings? I read about the change but am confused as to when it starts. Any help in understanding would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Carrie G wrote:

By next year, does it mean that 1099's will be issued jan 2022 for money earned in 2021? Or 2023 for 2022 earnings? 

The latter

Hi, I use Turbotax as well. I thought I should enter my Upwork income as a 1099-NEC (filling it out myself since they don't give me one) for self employment. I need the Federal ID number for Upwork, and submitted a ticket to get it, but the Upwork customer service representative only told me what I already know, which is my total earnings for 2020. 

Has anyone had any luck getting the Federal ID number to create your own 1099? If you haven't, how do you report the income in Turbotax?

I REALLY don't want to trigger an audit.

Hey Kerry, how did everything go? I'm running into the same problem now and am just considering filing it under a Schedule C form because I can't find a Federal ID number for Upwork.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths