🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Tax information form
Page options
e975cadf
Community Member

Tax information form

Hi there,

I am a US citizen and have US passport but at present living in India. I have OCI card, Pan card, Aadhaar card and I have setup an Indian bank account. In this case whether I have to fill the W-9 form or W-8BEN form. So which form I need to go with and what should be the legal name of business. Kindly guide me through the process.

Looking forward for your response

Regards

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dharmin,

Thank you for your message. I have discussed your account with the team and you will need to update your PAN details as well on the account to comply with the Tax Law in India. That said, you will need to complete the W-8 first to note your PAN details and then complete the W-9 form on the account.

Since you have already completed a W-9 form, please click the pencil icon on the W-9 form section. Select 'I am not a U.S. person' and update the requested information on the form to complete the W-8 form on the account. Once you have saved the W-8 form, you will see the 'Tax Identification Number' section at the bottom of the same page. Please add your PAN details in the 'Tax Identification Number' section. After you see the 'Completed' status in the 'Tax Identification Number' section, you can complete the W-9 form again. Let us know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PradeepH

Hi Dharmin,

Thank you for your message. US citizens will need to complete W9 with their name that matches their SSN.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Welcome 

e975cadf
Community Member

Hi Pradeep,

Thank you for the reple. I have completed W9 for as you suggested but I am still getting error. I have attached a screen shot for your reference. Again thanks for your time in advance.

Dharmin Shah

Hi Dharmin,

Thank you for your message. I am discussing your account with the relevant team and will update you here as soon as I have more information.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Dharmin,

Thank you for your message. I have discussed your account with the team and you will need to update your PAN details as well on the account to comply with the Tax Law in India. That said, you will need to complete the W-8 first to note your PAN details and then complete the W-9 form on the account.

Since you have already completed a W-9 form, please click the pencil icon on the W-9 form section. Select 'I am not a U.S. person' and update the requested information on the form to complete the W-8 form on the account. Once you have saved the W-8 form, you will see the 'Tax Identification Number' section at the bottom of the same page. Please add your PAN details in the 'Tax Identification Number' section. After you see the 'Completed' status in the 'Tax Identification Number' section, you can complete the W-9 form again. Let us know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
e975cadf
Community Member

ok thanks, Pradeep.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members