Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax information non US person W-8BEN

tiagosalvador
Ace Contributor
Tiago S Member Since: Mar 20, 2012
1 of 11

Hello everyone. When I go to Tax Information I now see this message:

Before withdrawing funds, all non-U.S. persons must provide their W-8BEN tax information.

Before non US persons wouldn't need to do anything in this page or any tax information. Now it is necessary? Can someone from Europe give some insight about this also? What is the W-8BEN tax information and how should I proceed?

I thought that taxes were paid based on the country of the client, not the country of Upwork since Upwork is basically providing a service which we pay 10% (those 10% could be deducted in IRS for example). From what I read, W-8BEN means paying 30% of taxes for any credit I receive in Upwork. How does that make sense for a client from a country where taxes are lower or higher?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 11

Hi Tiago,

Freelancers outside of the USA are required to complete W-8BEN before they are able to withdraw funds from Upwork. Here is a help article with more information about it.

~ Valeria
Upwork
tiagosalvador
Ace Contributor
Tiago S Member Since: Mar 20, 2012
3 of 11

Hello Valeria,

But this change is recent. I have been withdrawing funds with no problem. The worst is that I wasn't notified of this change. Would it have been nice if at the end of the month when I need my funds to find out I would need to fill out this form and stay potentially several days without being able to withdraw them?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 11

It is not a recent change, Tiago, it's been a requirement for a while. Also, it looks like your tax form is completed and you should be able to withdraw your available funds without any issues.

~ Valeria
Upwork
sagar_ctgboy
Akramul Haq S Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
5 of 11

Hello, 

Is there any way available to change my tax information, as I have filled the form but did some mistake and i wanna edit this but i can't so far...

Thanks

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 11

Hi Akramul,

Please get in touch with Customer Support and they will assist you with changing your tax information.

Untitled
sagar_ctgboy
Akramul Haq S Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
7 of 11

Thanks, I have contact with support center and they helped me 

srs420
Saifur R Member Since: Apr 23, 2019
8 of 11

Hello! I am Saifur Rahman and I am confused about W-8BEN tax. In the field there is given legal name of business but I work as a freelancer here so what should be in my business? And I am non-us person. Also my payoneer card is still inactive can you help me out with this.

Regards Saifur Rahman

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
9 of 11

Hi Saifur,

You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents to complete the W-8BEN form, which purpose is to confirm you're not a US taxpayer. This should also solve your Payoneer account inactivity concern. 

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
srs420
Saifur R Member Since: Apr 23, 2019
10 of 11
Thank you So much Upwork is really great and helpful
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS