🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Tax information
Page options
jmeyn
Community Member

Tax information

When logging in I received a notification to update my tax information. I checked my tax information and there doesn't seem to be anything to update. All information displayed is correct. Maybe one of the mods could have a look and provide more details.

13 REPLIES 13
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Joachim,

I checked but couldn't replicate the issue you are experiencing. Could you please send me a private message with more information on this along with the screenshot of the notification so that I can check and assist you further?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I'm having the same notifications, and some others too.

Hi Dominic,

I checked your account but the notification you are referring to wasn't showing. Could you please try clearing your cache and cookies or using a different browser? Let us know if you continue experiencing this issue so that we can assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Sorry Aleksandar,

It doesn't show again. I tried another browser but couldn't replicate it. Looks like it was one time bug.

simonhumphries
Community Member

The Same prompt showed up for me when I logged in today.... hopefully is just a generic thing and not particulalrly targetted because mine didn't need any additional info either

Got the same message too. I added my tax information long time ago and there doesn't seem to be anything more that I need to add. Can a mod please confirm?

Hello everyone,

I have this notification (attached filed) in my account. I am not a U.S. person and I also don't have a VAT number. I have updated all my details correctly but it keeps showing me this notification. I am missing something?

Kin regards,

Hi Lismey,

I checked your account but the notification was not showing. Could you please let us know if you still need help with this?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Yes, its continues appearing  in my account. Have you seen the screenshot attached to my previous message?

Regards,

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Lismey,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. To learn more about this click Here

Regarding your VAT question, We won't charge VAT if a freelancer or agency has a valid VAT number in the format shown Here. Freelancers and agencies with VAT numbers can add them by visiting the Accounts menu > Settings > Tax Information. If the tax ID that you submit isn't in the format provided by VIES, Upwork won't be able to validate it. To learn more about VAT check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I know perfectly well what is The Form W-8BEN.

But, I still do not understand, if I am not a U.S. taxpayer and I pay my tax properly of course,  why do I keep getting this notification? Does it make sense what I'm asking or not?

Thanks,

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Lismey,

Please allow a couple of hours for the notification to be removed. I would also recommend clearing your cache and cookies or logging in with another browser. If you`re still seeing it on your end after this, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

This link is appearing for me also and asking for PAN card or Aadhar card for Indian users.

Basically Indian government allows Virtual ID for Aadhar card users which is 16 digit number against the real aadhar card number which is 12 digits only. But in Upwork it wont allow to enter VID number. While contacting Upwork's support they have asked me to enter the Aadhar card's real number instead of virtual number. Please allow us to enter VID number instead of real number. Infact the government agencies in India themselves are accepting VID instead of real number which is very safe.

Why Upwork is forcing us to provide the real number while the government themselves are giving a VID to submit instead of the real one?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths