Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax information

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
11 of 14

Hi Lismey,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. To learn more about this click Here

Regarding your VAT question, We won't charge VAT if a freelancer or agency has a valid VAT number in the format shown Here. Freelancers and agencies with VAT numbers can add them by visiting the Accounts menu > Settings > Tax Information. If the tax ID that you submit isn't in the format provided by VIES, Upwork won't be able to validate it. To learn more about VAT check out this Help Article. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Lismey V Member Since: Oct 19, 2019
12 of 14

I know perfectly well what is The Form W-8BEN.

But, I still do not understand, if I am not a U.S. taxpayer and I pay my tax properly of course,  why do I keep getting this notification? Does it make sense what I'm asking or not?

Thanks,

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
13 of 14

Hi Lismey,

Please allow a couple of hours for the notification to be removed. I would also recommend clearing your cache and cookies or logging in with another browser. If you`re still seeing it on your end after this, let me know. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
14 of 14

This link is appearing for me also and asking for PAN card or Aadhar card for Indian users.

Basically Indian government allows Virtual ID for Aadhar card users which is 16 digit number against the real aadhar card number which is 12 digits only. But in Upwork it wont allow to enter VID number. While contacting Upwork's support they have asked me to enter the Aadhar card's real number instead of virtual number. Please allow us to enter VID number instead of real number. Infact the government agencies in India themselves are accepting VID instead of real number which is very safe.

Why Upwork is forcing us to provide the real number while the government themselves are giving a VID to submit instead of the real one?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS