🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Tax residency
Page options
6c2f12f5
Community Member

Tax residency

Hello. My question is about tax residency. I have Russian citizenship, but have not been to Russia for more than a year. Now I am in Armenia, but in general I live in different countries (Thailand, Armenia, Bulgaria and others). I am a tax resident of Russia. If I include this in my documents, will it result in my account being banned?

4 REPLIES 4
LuiggiR

Hi Kirill,

Any time you move to a different country, even temporarily, you should update your tax residency information on Upwork. Please note that you may also need to provide your Tax Identification Number (TIN). This is the number that your country uses for collecting your tax information and may have a different name, such as PAN in India, for example. Some countries may use a National ID number. You may be able to find information about your country’s TIN here. If you have questions about your number, and considering that you move around different countries, you will need to consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
6c2f12f5
Community Member

Thank you very much for your reply. Perhaps I didn't express myself exactly. Let me clarify the question. Does Upwork allow freelancers who are tax residents of Russia to work if they do not live in Russia? I ask the question because I know that Upwork is no longer working in Russia itself.

Hi Kirill,

As long as you aren't currently in Russia, you can work on Upwork. We'd still recommend that you consult a local tax authority since you should not add your Tax Information from Russia, considering that you now live in a different country. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
6c2f12f5
Community Member

Thank you so much! Yes, I'll go to local tax authority the next week!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members