cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax

Tejal J Member Since: Feb 6, 2019
1 of 7

where should I expect tax related from from upwork? in email or by mail?

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

Hi Tejal, 

If you are referring to Form 1099-K, this is sent via U.S. Postal Service.

-Avery
Untitled
Lisa H Member Since: Apr 13, 2018
3 of 7

it is my understanding that Upwork does NOT provide any tax forms or documentation to either the freelancer or the IRS.  I have asked this question many times. They use to provide an official tax form but do not any longer.

I also need to know how to find out how much money I have earned via Upwork for each tax year.  The certificate of earnings is useless as it provides odd quarterly earnings that can't be broken down by year.

Using the "reports" feature, to select earnings by time period, it is confusing as I do not know it this includes fees (Upwork fees, withdrawal fees etc.) so I do not know truly how much I earned or should be reporting--the amount I ractually received or the amount Upwork says I earned which includes fees.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
4 of 7

Lisa H wrote:

it is my understanding that Upwork does NOT provide any tax forms or documentation to either the freelancer or the IRS.  I have asked this question many times. They use to provide an official tax form but do not any longer.

I also need to know how to find out how much money I have earned via Upwork for each tax year.  The certificate of earnings is useless as it provides odd quarterly earnings that can't be broken down by year.

Using the "reports" feature, to select earnings by time period, it is confusing as I do not know it this includes fees (Upwork fees, withdrawal fees etc.) so I do not know truly how much I earned or should be reporting--the amount I ractually received or the amount Upwork says I earned which includes fees.

Go to Reports and select "Lifetime Earnings by Client" and set the date range to 1/1/18-12/31/18. That will give you a list of money earned and UW fees paid for the 2018 calendar year, sorted by client. I don't pay withdrawal fees, so I don't know about that.

We all get that you are unhappy about not receiving some kind of "official" document from UW about your earnings. But if you keep asking the same questions over and over, eventually people are going to start offering you nonsense answers, just to keep up entertainment standards.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
5 of 7

Lisa H wrote:

so I do not know truly how much I earned or should be reporting--the amount I ractually received or the amount Upwork says I earned which includes fees.

I answered this for you at the end of March when you last asked this question.  Once more, you will report the entire amount before fees. This is your gross revenue. You will then record your fees paid as an expense which will serve to reduce your taxable income by the amount of the fees. An example:

Upwork gross earnings: $10,000 (before fees) 

Upwork fees: $1,000 (just to make this simple)

Net income: $9,000 (10,000 - 1,000).

To the IRS you will report revenues of $10,000. As an expense of your business you will then report UW fees of $1,000. The IRS will then tax you on the $9,000. 

I am not a tax accountant and given the uncertainty you continue to express, I strongly recommend consulting one. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

re: "I answered this for you at the end of March when you last asked this question. Once more, you will report the entire amount before fees. This is your gross revenue."

That is one way to do it.

It is not the only way.

For example, if you want to pay more tax, you could refrain from reporting fees at all.

Ace Contributor
Laura S Member Since: Jun 30, 2017
7 of 7

Thanks Scott!

I actually didn't realize this is how we put it in as far as the fees.  

Laura

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS