cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes

Kayla D Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
1 of 28

Do I have to claim my income from Upwork when filing taxes? If so, will Upwork send a W-9 form?

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 28

@Kayla D wrote:

Do I have to claim my income from Upwork when filing taxes? If so, will Upwork send a W-9 form?

If you want to avoid the IRS becoming a very big part of your life yes.

Upwork will send you a W-9 if you make over $20,000.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Ace Contributor
Laura S Member Since: Jun 30, 2017
3 of 28

Follow up question on this...what if you aren't doing this full time?  What if you earn $1000 or less in a year?  If it's, as you said over 20,000 for a W-9 do we still need to do something?  I'd rather err on the side of caution and claim it than have issues but I don't want to mess up either. 

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
4 of 28

@Laura S wrote:

Follow up question on this...what if you aren't doing this full time?  What if you earn $1000 or less in a year?  If it's, as you said over 20,000 for a W-9 do we still need to do something?  I'd rather err on the side of caution and claim it than have issues but I don't want to mess up either. 

See my earlier reply, but the "magic" cut-off is $400 from self-employment.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 28

ask yourself the question you just asked. Do you think the IRS is gonna be all "Oh it's ok that you made $100k on Upwork. No need to claim that income, dear. Ur all good. Just skip that income"

Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
6 of 28

@Jennifer M wrote:

ask yourself the question you just asked. Do you think the IRS is gonna be all "Oh it's ok that you made $100k on Upwork. No need to claim that income, dear. Ur all good. Just skip that income"

Internet money isn't real money. (;

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 28

I'm gonna use that for my audit and just tell them it's pixels on a screen y u give me a hard time IRS guy?????

Kayla D Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
8 of 28

Im not an idiot, I made a couple hundred dollars. Also, It was an opening question to my other questions.

Szilvia H Member Since: Jan 27, 2019
9 of 28

I'm in the same boat (I made less than $200). Just trying to figure out where I put that amount on the tax form.

Maybe "tips"? Smiley Very Happy 

Ace Contributor
Laura S Member Since: Jun 30, 2017
10 of 28

I WISH I earned that much. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS