🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Telegram **Edited for Community Guideline...
Page options
roosnella
Community Member

Telegram **Edited for Community Guidelines**

And yet again another scammer!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I received a  message to contact them on Telegram.  Usually, I don't. But I decided to play the game. 

On Telegram, I immediately got a message from **Edited for Community Guidelines** of the business**Edited for Community Guidelines**

He had plenty of jobs, I could choose!  All posted jobs to choose from had a very good payment! Only one thing.. as a freelancer, please make a deposit of 20%. Refundable.

I checked the website.. the site looks very basic, 1 page, backlinks not working

LinkedIn .. no picture

Today, I wanted to re check his UPWork profile... The post is gone, even his message to me is no longer visible?? 

Upwork! It looks like something has changed in the controle of clients signing up! Third dodgy customer! 

Why dont you leave their profiles online, with a big red cross and an explenation? 

Anyway... **Edited for Community Guidelines**... beware!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Rose,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback and concerns. Our teams are working to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety.

Additionally, I assure you that we'll continue sharing users' feedback with the team and providing updates to the Community about team's initiatives. Feel free to check an update in this postfor more information about the team's efforts around addressing these issues.
~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
NikolaS

Hi Rose,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback and concerns. Our teams are working to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety.

Additionally, I assure you that we'll continue sharing users' feedback with the team and providing updates to the Community about team's initiatives. Feel free to check an update in this postfor more information about the team's efforts around addressing these issues.
~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi Nikola,

it seems this company is doing it again. They contacted me and asked me to go on Telegram which I found suspicious, especially since I could not find anything about the company online.

Just wanted to flag them up again

Hi Ilenia,

Thank you for reporting this. Moving forward you can also send us a flag when this happens so the account details and the job post will be forwarded to the right team for investigation.

~ AJ
Upwork
f875df82
Community Member

Hi

My daughter has done some work for global publishing library.  She was laising with**Edited for Community Guidelines**. She was asked to pay a fee, then another and another to secure her monies for work done. To date**Edited for Community Guidelines** keeps asking for more monies which she aaya is refundable and has not paid anything as yet. She has a Gmail address 

This is a common scam. Your daughter will not get a job nor will she get her money back. She needs to read more about freelancing generally, and how to use Upwork. See "New to Upwork 101" and "Working on Upwork 101" on the right of this page. It is a violation of Upwork's terms of service to communicate with any client off site until a formal Upwork contract is in place, so your daughter also risks losing her account.  

The "job" has probably been delisted by Upwork, but your daughter should report it if it hasn't. She must also stop communicating with this person, who is actually committing a crime, if she has taken money off your daughter. 

roosnella
Community Member

The **Edited for Community Guidelines** approached me (no official job offer made) to do some Legal Research on an hourly contract. 

I found the answer to his legal question, but as he was not pleased with that, he refused to pay! He blocked me and hired another upworker to tell me that I wouldn't get paid.

I did some research and found out that his company doesn't exist. 

Be warned!

Dont trust people that approach you directly!

You can not work without contract, it is ToS violation. Don't broke platform rules next time then you won't be scammed.

Why you did it? Newbies like this but not experienced freelancers.

Honey, 

Didnt I mention "hourly contract"??  Please read before you start commenting. Better yet if you dont have anything constructive to say.... maybe say nothing?

I ve been working for Upwork for many years, and never ever had a scammer. It looks like something in Upwork has changed this year, So far in 2022 I had 3 scammers. 

I found "no official job offer made". You worked without any contract, else client unable refuse to pay. You was hired or not? If yes, then sorry, i missed it.

With no job offer I meant no advertisement for us all to see. This was a
direct message on my profile, and he suggested an hourly contract .
(Mentioned in first sentence of my post).. hourly contracts give us
freelancers no support of Upwork by dispute. 😢 I'm sure he knew this and
took advantage of it

If you use the tracker correctly, you will receive the funds. How can the client take advantage of you through hourly tracking?

If you are an experienced freelancer, you should know how to set up contracts.

Having a client make direct contact is not against the Terms of Service unless you start work without a contract. I have had clients who reached out and were wonderful. The problem is the scam, not the direct approach.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Rose, don't engage with scammers. Upwork will see your communication outside of upwork - and their algorithms don't understand sarcasm or irony, so you put your profile in danger. 

Many people have posted the script the scammers use, it's always the same. I guess they also steal from each other, don't know. 

Somebody else reported the posting and upwork took it down, as well as the client account, in all probability. What would be the purpose of keeping it on the platform? The scammer will never post another job from this account, just create a new one. 

Thanks for the warning! Appreciated. I think it could be educational to
keep them up with a blocked account and showcase their way of scamming?

How would freelancer see the scammer's account if he never hired and never posted another job? They can't. 

Most people know how these scammers operate, and I probably can recite their script verbatim by now....

d9913278
Community Member

Thanks for sharing Rose K

This is my first time at upwork. But, I was unsure about this offer.

The last week i received, the same offer by this person.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

But, everything he said sounded too good to be true.

Thanks for sharing, again.

You confirmed my suspicions

4fc9c4e8
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines** is it real of fake

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

It might be a fake company, or it might be a real company but the person you're speaking to doesn't work there. You shouldn't be asking this question. What matters is, are they asking you for money or personal details? Are they asking you to contact them off of Upwork, like on Telegram? Are they promising a high rate of pay for a simple job? Then it's a scam. It doesn't matter what name they give you. 

You need to learn all about how to use Upwork by taking the Academy courses, and improve your profile if you want to have even a small chance of getting a real client here. It will require a lot of time and effort.

bbf02374
Community Member

Hello Rose,

I also felt very apprehensive about this proposal. I even sent it to someone to check if it's not a scam. I'm glad someone confirmed for me that it is. It's also the second time I receive such a proposal. Thank God I did not proceed further. Hope we don't

come across a lot of these coz people ARE really desperate.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths