cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telegram Job Scam?

Highlighted
Rafael H Member Since: Apr 6, 2020
1 of 7

I was invited to an interview on Telegram the other day. I did a text interview there and the guy invited me to a job. I was emailed a check for startup money, and now he's wanting me to pay for supplies before I start the job. First was $350 for a Time Tracker, then $500 for these programs; BS1 Accounting Software, Myob Business Essentials Software 2005, For Peach Tree Premium 2010 US Patent Single Users Pack, Simplay Accounting 2009, Adobe Photoshop 52011, Adobe Acrobat 8 2012, Ariba 8 2012ASP 32007, CSS 6 2012, Dreamwaver 7 2011, and HTML 11 2011.

Looking up the programs, I found old discussions on here about people having similar situations and them turning out to be a scam, so I'm thinking this might be the case here. Any advice would be appreciated!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

Rafael H wrote:

I was invited to an interview on Telegram the other day. I did a text interview there and the guy invited me to a job. I was emailed a check for startup money, and now he's wanting me to pay for supplies before I start the job. 

The second someone mentions sending you a check, your KNOW it is a scam. I hope you haven't tried to bank the check yet? 

The second you agree to receive such a check, you are violating Upwork's terms of service and risk your account being suspended.

Did you ever think it to be odd that some random stranger on the Internet hires you via Telegram and would then send you real checks to buy software that is not related to each other or to what you can actually do? Random software that nobody needs all of for one job, ever?

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
3 of 7

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Ruthy K Member Since: Apr 10, 2020
4 of 7
Thank goodness I saw this. I really was about to fall for these scammers !!!

However one of them sent me an 19 and I filled out should I be scared ?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
5 of 7

Ruthy K wrote:
Thank goodness I saw this. I really was about to fall for these scammers !!!

However one of them sent me an 19 and I filled out should I be scared ?

I hope you didn't provide bank information...

Highlighted
Ruthy K Member Since: Apr 10, 2020
6 of 7
No I didn’t. Just the basics !

I honestly was about to fall through. Then they asked for my cash app and then I knew it was forsure Scam.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Varun G Member Since: Dec 11, 2019
7 of 7

It's not necessarily a scam, but it could be. Simply tell the client that you are more than happy to buy the software if they pay for it through the Upwork contract bonus system. If they insist on paying off-platform then it's probably a scam (since the vast majority of payment methods are easily reversible). Also worth noting that you shouldn't be considering the prospect of being paid off-platform in any form anyway (as it is against the Upwork ToS)

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS