🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Telegram and WhatsApp search
Page options
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Telegram and WhatsApp search

Just a simple search for the words Telegram and WhatsApp just showed 48 jobs with them in the job title or job description. Can someone from Upwork please perform the same simple search and remove them immediately? Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sofia2008
Community Member

Just a simple search for "t.me" will show 608 jobs. Should keep them busy for a while.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
sofia2008
Community Member

Just a simple search for "t.me" will show 608 jobs. Should keep them busy for a while.

I said to myself this can't be true, and I just went ahead to try the keyword.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Yeah, it's almost like if they didn't let those get posted, they wouldn't have to spend the time and resources to remove them. So I guess it's better for Upwork to keep allowing them to be there than not, or else they would take them down. But what do I know, I'm just a stupid writer.

d_samuel_udokpok
Community Member

Sometimes it makes you wonder what is the work of the Quality Assurance Team. It looks like bot is taking over the job approval role of Upwork. Anyone can just sign up as a client and post whatever they want 

wescowley
Community Member

Peter G wrote:

Just a simple search for the words Telegram and WhatsApp just showed 48 jobs with them in the job title or job description. Can someone from Upwork please perform the same simple search and remove them immediately? Thanks.

The problem with simplistic keyword approaches like this is that while the majority of the jobs are problematic because they are asking for off-platform contact, there are some legitimate-looking SMM jobs that get swept up in the search.

I realize that, but at the very least it should warrant a flag being sent to Upwork for further investigation.

Yes, but what about if you add the same functionality that we freelancers have when we type to the client side, i.e. when you type an extraneous messenger name or similar, a little flag comes up telling you not to add contact details at this point? That should help sort the wheat from the chaff. (Not saying I don't like chaff, though. What I don't like is the fact that these aren't real job postings.)

58feaef8
Community Member

Yesterday 20 out of 31 jobs on my recommended list were scams. So that's 64.5%. After flagging all of them,  I was frustrated beyond belief, thinking of the possibility that the algorithm is actually promoting all of these  scams.

But I know I must soldier on, and begin to appreciate deeply when a real job emerges, like a phoenix rising from the ashes. I also keep my sanity by using advanced search function and use (__&__) AND NOT (__or __)+ payment verified. Life feels much better and easier after all. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths