🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Temporary account hold for video verifica...
Page options
yitwail
Community Member

Temporary account hold for video verification

I received a notifcation today from Upwork Help Center that my account is temporarily on hold until I can join them for a video call NEXT WEEK. I understand Upwork needing to re-verify identity from time to time, but why is there such a long delay between the notice and the video call?

Community Member

Hi John,

When a user is required to complete video verification they are asked to do it within one week. You don't have to wait a week to verify and I see that you've already chatted with one of our agents.

I also appreciate your understanding of the need to occasionally re-verify accounts. Indeed, some people sell their accounts and that undermines all the legitimate freelancers who put in hard and honest work to build a solid portfolio and reputation on Upwork. So we have to take this step.

A request to verify doesn't prevent freelancers from working on their contracts and withdrawing their funds.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
versailles
Community Member

And what effect does a temporary hold produces on an account? 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Be sure it doesn't mean that you are not going to get paid on the normal schedule.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV

Rene K wrote:

And what effect does a temporary hold produces on an account? 

The notification stated I would be unable to send proposals or edit my profile picture, but I would like to know if those are the only limitations on my account.

Wow. The whole account hold thing is getting out of hand. 

versailles
Community Member

Well that they randomly verify accounts, even the ones that have already been verified in the past is a good practice: indeed, some idjits are actually selling their verified accounts.

Also the fact that they put an hold on suspicious accounts is totally fine.

But preventing people from applying while the verification is just part of a random measure of safety, as I believe it is the case with John, is not acceptable. 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I'm very worried as a matter of fact, because I just finished verification, but when I was asked for my email address, I wasn't given time to explain that the notification I received was sent to my original email address, whereas I believed my profile currently has a newer email address, and soon as the call finished, I checked it, and as I feared, my profile has a different email address, but I only had time to give the old email address.

Hi John,

When a user is required to complete video verification they are asked to do it within one week. You don't have to wait a week to verify and I see that you've already chatted with one of our agents.

I also appreciate your understanding of the need to occasionally re-verify accounts. Indeed, some people sell their accounts and that undermines all the legitimate freelancers who put in hard and honest work to build a solid portfolio and reputation on Upwork. So we have to take this step.

A request to verify doesn't prevent freelancers from working on their contracts and withdrawing their funds.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Just to clarify what I first wrote, I was instructed to join a video call "within the next week". I misunderstood that to mean the call would be next week. Perhaps the notification could be rephrased as "within the next 7 days", to prevent a similar misunderstanding.

Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback, John. I have shared it with the team so that it can be considered. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths