🐈 Community
hjhelscher

Terminating a Contract with a Client

Hi,

On Monday I accepted a contract with a client after a few interviews. I have done about 15 hours work (hourly contract) on it and realize this is not going to be a good fit for me. The tasks given to me are somewhat inappropriate and in one case I don't even think what they are asking is possible.  Now they expect me to be on call 24/7 even though I made it very clear that situation would not be acceptable to me. I'd like to terminate the contract before I'm in too deeply. I don't want negative feedback from them, but I truly think it is best for them and me to just shake hands and say "thanks, no thanks."  BTW, they have been happy with my work. It's just not what was represented to me and I don't like it at all.

How do I go about terminating the contract and also avoiding negative feedback? No money has been paid yet.

Thank you.

Holly

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yitwail

Holly, if you used Upwork time tracker and it recorded sufficient keyboard activity, then you *will* be paid unless the client disputes the hours. If by inappropriate you mean something not permitted by Upwork ToS then notify support about this and ask them to intervene. And no one can do the impossible so let the client know if they ask for something unrealistic. Do all communication by Upwork messaging if possible so you have an audit trail. In the worst case you may get negative feedback but you can recover from one negative feedback. Good luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
yitwail

Holly, if you used Upwork time tracker and it recorded sufficient keyboard activity, then you *will* be paid unless the client disputes the hours. If by inappropriate you mean something not permitted by Upwork ToS then notify support about this and ask them to intervene. And no one can do the impossible so let the client know if they ask for something unrealistic. Do all communication by Upwork messaging if possible so you have an audit trail. In the worst case you may get negative feedback but you can recover from one negative feedback. Good luck!

Sometimes it's best to be totally honest with a client. You can say something along the lines of:

After working on your job, I realize that it is not a good fit for me for several personal reasons. Because of other obligations and priorities I also can not be available during the times that you may need me. I feel it's in your best interest to select another freelancer that has the skills and availability needed to complete your jobs. I would appreciate it if you can close this contract and that we part on good terms.

Hi, Kathy,

The three responses I got on my questions were all very helpful. But the language you provided really helped me through the conversation I just now concluded. He was very understanding. 

Thank you.

Holly

kkleiss

This is a very difficult situation, I've been there myself. I did a bunch of research online looking for guidance, and I followed the advice and it worked out OK, with five stars both ways.

Basically, be very nice. If you can do it in person over the phone, that's the best way.

Make it about you, not about them. Definitely do not tell them they misrepresented the work and you're unhappy with the projects they're giving you.

Give them lots of notice, and continue working on the project until they've got someone else lined up to take over - presumably they are a small biz of some kind and are relying on you.

I also put together a list of other upworkers with excellent profiles who had all of the qualifications needed to fill my shoes - some were even better-qualified than me!

Just be a pro, and hopefully it will all work out OK. But there's nothing easy about this situation!

Good luck!

Hi, Karen,

The responses I got on this situation were all helpful. What helped me the most from your post was remembering to make it about me. And it mostly was. We reviewed what I would finish for him and the only other thing he asked was for me to tell his partner myself. Not that I want to have a second such conversation today, but it seemed like a reasonable request.

Thank you for your help.

Holly