🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Terrible Proposal stats 2022
Page options
9f395534
Community Member

Terrible Proposal stats 2022

Finding clients is really difficult for me right now.

I'm a talented designer with a RISING TALENT BADGE.

Since I began working here a few months ago, I have had 0 jobs.

My statistics are listed below.

profile 1000.pngProposal 1000.png

I'm starting to believe that Upwork is not for me.

Throughout the year, only 34 of 111 proposals were examined.

Most of the time, my profile is not even looked at.

I'm curious as to how everyone is coping here.? where 77 proposals were not viewed by the client which cost a lot of connects.

Do you think this is normal?

Do you think something is wrong with my profile?

Do you think of a possible solution?

Do you think quitting is the way out?

Right now I am ☹️

Your input will be much appreciated.

Hafeez

30 REPLIES 30
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You have a Rising Talent badge because Upwork automatically awards it to anyone who says that they have multiple years of work experience and some higher education; it doesn't mean that your profile is good. It's extremely competitive and difficult to get work in the design category, so I would advise going through the learning paths and making improvements. You use language that isn't client-focussed, it's mostly bragging about how amazing, exceptional, superb and gifted you are (BTW, the sentence "THE PITCH'S IS A SUPER, MULTI-TALENTED GUY" doesn't even make any sense). Don't write in all-caps, either. Also, an Upwork profile is supposed to represent a single freelancer, whereas you keep saying "we" in your overview, as if you've got a whole team there; if you want to work with other people, they need to have their own profiles and you'll need to form an agency. 

Thank you for your input Christine, do you mind if I send you a private message?

I really need to get over this with your help.

The first step is to go through the learning paths. I'm not here to offer private coaching, when there's plenty of information available to those who are willing to make an effort.

Do you mind sharing the learning paths? 

I am more than ready to use it wisely.

Hafeez R wrote:

Do you mind sharing the learning paths? 

25005175_0-1672515967966.png

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Haveez,

I have been using Upwork and its predecessor platform for at least seven years.

In 2022 my Upwork earnings were down about 40% compared to 2021; my views and proposal numbers were down a similar percentage. I don't know why, but I certainly didn't change anything in the ways I look for new projects. My primary source of new projects has typically been via invitations from clients, but those were down drastically, as well.

I did do an experiment with the boosting feature, which I'll share on this message board in January. 

Upwork reported substantial revenue growth through the first nine months of 2022, so it will be interesting to see how that was achieved once Upwork posts its annual financial results for 2022 in March 2023.

Community Member

Hi Hafeez!

Your stats are better than me and many other freelancers. So just improve your profile and keep trying, you will get there for sure.

You don't have an agency setup but you are referring team, we, AI creative designers studio and that doesn't make sense. In other employment history just looks like extension of your main profile, not actual employments and experiences, You can browse support articles, go through similar topics of 'new to upwork' here, do learning paths, and try to implement the changes in your profile and proposals.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your input Nabeel. for the corrections I have effected some of the corrections. 

You are welcome.

Most of the jobs I apply to, clients don't even hire anyone and some don't even check after posting jobs. Your proposal views are more than double than my views percentagewise and I sent about 400 in 2022 so 111 are not that much.

You should also change all the uppercase characters to lower case in the beginning of your cover letter on your profile.

Thanks again Nabee, I will apply the correction of the case-sensitive words now, would mind checking again for me?

Try using a basic free spell and grammar check. You need to learn how to operate as an independent contractor.

Like Jeanne said, improve grammar in your profile. Write short sentences and/or phrase them properly. Also lessen, not remove, the self praise words.

Thank you so much for helping me out, with the necessary modification required Nabeel, I left you a private message for you, please kindly check

f8b14784
Community Member

Hafeez, you should optimize your profile 100% to get invites. And also attach your work examples and mention testimonials in proposals. NEVER COPY PASTE

Thanks for your input Muhammad, I appreciate it, can you guide me on the optimization process?

Copy and paste.☹️

Hafeez, you keep asking for help. Please avail yourself of all the information from Upwork. Have you read the Terms of Service ? I know you haven't read much of Upwork's information, because you are always asking basic questions. You can learn how to optimize your own profile, and you should. How to optimize your profile has already been laid out in specific steps. You need to spend some time benefiting from all the information/webinars/meetings/speakers/examples/data/lectures/etc. etc. etc. There is more information on the platform that is official and from Upwork.

I appreciate your input Jeanne, and also your advice, am sure you will agree that is not only 5+5=10.

2+8=10,

1+9=10

4+6=10

20/+2=10

18-8=10

5x2=10

meaning one problem sometimes has more than a solution, asking a good question is a great idea, I spent quality time reading Upwork's Terms of Service, and I still do, never judge a book by its cover, I will explore your options. 

I believe in knowledge sharing.

Thanks again.

Then I do not understand if you have read everything on the site, why you are asking basic questions answered completely in the specific explanations from Upwork, as if you had never heard of it? This is not knowledge sharing, this is redundancy.

Because you are new and have no job experience, you need to go through every single thing on Upwork, which you have not done. There are weeks of information if you read, watch, and listen to everything. I don't like to see anyone scammed or go away because they never get a job. It's your choice, but you do not demonstrate that you have basic knowledge of Upwork, have no jobs, and yet position yourself as knowledgeable about the workings of Upwork.

Yes, don't copy others profiles or portfolio or anything from another freelancer's file. I keep finding my exact information on other freelancers profiles. One goes, and two more pop up. The funny thing is, they might get hired, but they mess up so much they will never get another job.

Those that copy you are funny😁

What works for  Mr. A doesn't work for Mr. B, there is a meaning to xyz = x + y + z = 1.

If they get hired, and never know to solving the client's problem is up to them, I always say what I can do on my profile, I don't formulate lies, and I am whom I claim I was.

I copy and paste 90% of my proposals. Same technical stuff like file formats used and some personal stuff like history in the industry. Over 500 jobs so I really don't think it's a big deal. Saves a lot of time and avoided typing mistakes. Jmho

f8b14784
Community Member

Go ahead and search for top freelancers in your niche, study their profiles and then implement what you learn. I'm mentioning the link to a youtube channel:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

If you want to be successful on Upwork, follow this channel.

Jazakallahu khairan Muhammad.

tlsanders
Community Member

I think it's normal at the front end. I'm top rated with 100% JSS, more than $200k in earnings, 30+ years of experience and a graduate degree in my field, and my stats say about 1/3 of my proposals were viewed--that's just a bit higher than your percentage. 

The next stage is where it falls apart for you. 100% of clients who opened my proposal contacted me. That leads me to suspect the problem is with your proposals. Are you making them very targeted to the job posting? 

Hey, Tiffany thanks for your input contribution, 

Yes! I do.

Do you to telling me more about this "leads me to suspect the problem is with your proposals?"

jaycrutcher
Community Member

Times are tough for illustration all around. There are so many of us, and so few clients who have the budget to hire for anything more than cut rate work. My advice would be to find another source of income.

Thanks for your input Jarrad, I really appreciate it.

f1ecd428
Community Member

Everyone else already gave you tons of useful advice, but I'd like to add something about your portfolio:
It's not necessary to put every single graphic you've made, it's better to choose your best work and ideally provide some context on the project goals and your design process. This goes for design portfolios anywhere, not just on Upwork.

I'd also suggest that you may need to work on your language skills. It is important for clients to know that you will be 100% able to understand their requirements. Communication is key for design projects and a couple grammar errors could play against you.

And yes, it's been hard to get jobs in this field for a while. Good luck!

I really value your advice, Javiera, so thank you very much.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths