cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible website, terrible service and terrible all around

Joshua L Member Since: Sep 5, 2019
1 of 27

Anyone that thinks you have a chance at actually making a decent income on this site is **edited for Community Guidelines** out of your mind. I have been working as a professional video editor and producer on ACTUAL tv shows for 16 years. I came here to try and pick up extra work but, my lord, what a **edited for Community Guidelines** show.

Let's first just ignore the INSANE lowball expectations for pay that these "clients" are looking for. They might as well just ask their 10 year old nephew for help. But what kind of job site charges the WORKER to work? Since when does the client not pay the fees and costs? I have to PAY to work? **edited for Community Guidelines**

Okay okay, let's put that aside as well. I said, fine, let's see if the work can make up for the discount I apparenlyt have to pay to this **edited for Community Guidelines** site. So yay, all signed up and ready to go! I have like 50 connects that reloads each month, I send off maybe a BAZZILION proposals (putting real thought and time into each one) and it's crickets. I feel like I have a better chance getting swiped right on Tinder by a supermodel, than I do getting work here. So not making money. Sucks, right? Not as much as getting an email from the "management" of the site telling me that because I am not making money, (and thus not making them money) my account has gone private and I don't show up on searches anymore. **edited for Community Guidelines** Let me get this straight....I am not making you enough money so your solution is to make me invisible and make it harder to make you money?! How the **edited for Community Guidelines** is that supposed to work? Why not feature me, instead? Or bump up my profile? **edited for Community Guidelines**

So yeah. Here I am not writing a scathing review on their own site (which will most likely get pulled down) and will eventually cancel and remove my profile. By the way, when I eventually complained about being set to private, I was reinstated BUT all my credits were gone. Glorious!!! Just to come full circle, anyone that thinks you have a chance at actually making a decent living on this site is **edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
2 of 27
You are the second person to call me crazy today!
They didn’t take your connects for going private. You can request to be made public any time and if you think about it logically the reason is to make people who stop using their accounts be invisible to invites.
As for the rest of it...maybe someone could help you, give you some suggestions, but your are not asking for that. You just came in to drop a load.
3 of 27

They did take them away. I had over 40...was set to private unannounced (when I clearly was actively submitting proposals, so no...your logic doesn't make sense here), requested to be made public again, was granted and poof, credits gone. Congrats if you are doing well, for the other 90% of people, it's trash and killing real professional trying to fight for an actual value for their work.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
4 of 27

Joshua L wrote:

They did take them away. I had over 40...was set to private unannounced (when I clearly was actively submitting proposals, so no...your logic doesn't make sense here), requested to be made public again, was granted and poof, credits gone. Congrats if you are doing well, for the other 90% of people, it's trash and killing real professional trying to fight for an actual value for their work.

So what are you trying to accomplish by doing this?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 27

Joshua L wrote:

Anyone that thinks you have a chance at actually making a decent income on this site is bat **bleep** out of your mind.

Does that include the many of us here who are already doing it?

6 of 27

Clearly not. But let's not toss around the term "many" so easily. Some? yes. Many? Probably not. The 10% of people doing well. Congrats, you cracked the code. But 90% of people are not.

Community Guru
7 of 27

Joshua L wrote:

Clearly not. But let's not toss around the term "many" so easily. Some? yes. Many? Probably not. The 10% of people doing well. Congrats, you cracked the code. But 90% of people are not.

It's true that most people don't do well here. You're way overestimating the percentage who are. Most registered freelancers have never made a single dollar on Upwork.

The thing is, it works for a lot of us. Many of the people you'll see regularly posting in these forums have earned hundreds of thousands of dollars on Upwork. Many of us were seasoned professionals long before Upwork existed (or before the internet existed) and like the site because it reduces our administrative and marketing time to near zero. 

If many of us can make it work and others can't, it seems to me that declaring that the site just doesn't work is counterproductive. If it doesn't work for you, fair...it's not for everyone. But, it CAN work for many people, if they choose to learn how to make it work. No sense obscuring that fact for those who might like to try.

8 of 27

Whatever helps you sleep at night. You've done well, clearly with your "guru" status. More postings for your to take. I think you are truly underestimating the level of success on here. You did it so good for you. But way to many people are selling themselves short because the few success stories get marketed over and over.

And I am not stating the site doesn't just not work for me. I listed many reason why it is a terrible system. Not sure what your industry on here is but for what I do, it is a **bleep**ing knife in the back with a twist to hard working, valuable people out there. 20% of my pay to the site!?! Are you kidding me? 

Thanks for your feedback and enjoy the site.

Community Guru
9 of 27

Joshua L wrote:

Whatever helps you sleep at night. You've done well, clearly with your "guru" status. More postings for your to take. I think you are truly underestimating the level of success on here. You did it so good for you. But way to many people are selling themselves short because the few success stories get marketed over and over.

And I am not stating the site doesn't just not work for me. I listed many reason why it is a terrible system. Not sure what your industry on here is but for what I do, it is a **bleep**ing knife in the back with a twist to hard working, valuable people out there. 20% of my pay to the site!?! Are you kidding me? 

Thanks for your feedback and enjoy the site.

See, I think people are selling themselves short for exactly the opposite reason: because they think they have to. I want them to realize that how they conduct business on Upwork is up to them.

I'm a writer. Every single day I see people posting about how it's impossible to make a living as a writer here and everyone wants to pay $5/post and that sort of thing. I personally know quite a lot of writers consistently charging $75-125/hour on Upwork. Can everyone do that? Of course not. But, everyone who has something significant to market can stand by his or her rates and focus on the jobs most narrowly-tailored to his/her skills and experience.

10 of 27

Again, my experience is not what you keep trying to sell. I don't sell myself short becuase I "feel I have to." I know my value, I propose my value, I stick to what I know my work is worth. I have spent more hours than I can count putting up thoughtful proposal, giving details of my work, showing my high end examples. They just have to many "cheap" options. You can keep trying to justify your success for everyone but you are just one of the lucky ones. Take it and run and enjoy.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS