cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible website, terrible service and terrible all around

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 27

Running a successful business has little to do with luck, as I'm sure you know.

It's not clear to me why you can't just say "Upwork doesn't work well for me" and walk away from it without projecting that onto other freelancers who may just be getting their feet wet and inclined to take your discouraging view at face value.

Joshua L Member Since: Sep 5, 2019
12 of 27

Because like I have already explained, my opinion is NOT that it just doesn't work for me. I believe it is a system that works for a small set and takes advantage of the majority. The site will continue to charge workers over and over again for credits and outragous percentages when the site knows that you can spend 1000 credits and most likely never get a gig. End of story. 

And a successful business has A LOT to do with luck. Luck and hard work. 

It's not clear to me why you continue to think your experience is normal on here.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 27

Joshua L wrote:

It's not clear to me why you continue to think your experience is normal on here.

Joshua, as I've said several times now, I don't think and never suggested that my experience was "normal." What I said, and meant, was that it is ATTAINABLE for many freelancers.

I've been told I was "lucky" about career opportunities for three decades. In every single case, I could clearly explain to you the exact steps I took to make those opportunities happen. A lot of people are unwilling to take those steps, but many others just don't understand the connection between the steps and the outcome, or don't know how to formulate the steps. I regularly help newer freelancers (and occasionally people in other arenas) with that.

You want to convince prospective Upworkers it's hopeless. I want to share what helped me succeed in hopes they can do the same. Were it not for the rage dripping from your posts, I would believe that we both want to help other freelancers and just disagree on the way to do that.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 27

Joshua L wrote:

Again, my experience is not what you keep trying to sell.

Nobody is trying to sell you anything. You can't make Upwork work for you`? Close your profile and be done with it. Simple as all that.

All anyone can try and explain to you is that your original, opening statement is false:

Joshua L wrote:

Anyone that thinks you have a chance at actually making a decent income on this site is **edited for Community Guidelines** out of your mind.

There is a chance. People *ARE* making hundreds of thousands of Dollars here as their sole source of income. others use it to supplement theirs, or as one of several sources of work and money.

Does everyone? Absolutely not.

Do the majority? Nope.

Is that so different from any other entrepreneurial venture? It isn't.

15 of 27

Thank you for proving my point.

"Does everyone? Absolutely not.

Do the majority? Nope."

A small sect of participants actually make money here. Yet countless talented individuals spend their hard earned money on an idea that this system is successful for everyone. I am going to close up my profile but I feel it is important that someone here tells the reality. Congrats that is works for you but people need to know that with every handful of "success" stories, there are hundreds of thousands of fails that had **bleep** stacked against them. And this site profited off all of them.

"Is that so different from any other entrepreneurial venture? It isn't." YES IT IS! When I am an entrepreneur, the system I am working in doesn't charge me a fee while knowing that all the cards are stacked in their favor. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
16 of 27

Joshua L wrote:

A small sect of participants actually make money here.

You're spot on. The vast majority of people who have an account on Upwork are not making any money at all or very little. This is true in general on B2B platforms for they are overcrowded with freelancers who compete for a limited number of clients. It's highly Darwinian and brutal.

I don't think anyone for whom the platform doesn't work should waste their time here. You made a good move in deciding to dump Upwork. I wish you the best luck and a lot of success!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
17 of 27

Joshua L wrote:

Whatever helps you sleep at night. You've done well, clearly with your "guru" status. […]

LOL Community Guru Shaming

Ashutosh P Member Since: Aug 3, 2016
18 of 27

what about that fake or no reply client projects, which are posted many more daily and close autometiclly without any responce or heiring, In this case freelanceres money loose. who is the responsible for this.. If upwork allow for paid connects, 20% service charge, membersip account charge, who is responsible for these all..??

How expensive you make it.. Client never paid like that... Example- Its real $200 job is really amount, Client wants to pay $100 or $150 and some freelanceres ready to work in this amount also includng Upwork all type of charges.. So think how big Unemployment is in the market and thats why upwork increse the fee how much possible to his end.. Freelencres are Helpless here... 

If you made freelancers rule  then client also have some rules.. Like minimum budget, whats happning if client not replying on proposal and many more....

I know a reply is comes frm your side which goes to Upwork goal. Think honestilly and then get my point what i want to say and whats happning actually here... Money sucking here.. to making many rules only one end.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
19 of 27

Hi Joshua, 

I'm sorry to learn that you didn't have a good experience using Upwork for your freelance business.

I checked your Connects History page (Settings > Membership & Connects > Connects History), and can see from there that you used up the 60 connects that you have on July 31. If you check your Connects History, you will see how much connects were used for each proposal you sent out. I would like to confirm that the Connects were not removed from your account when your profile was set to private. 

I would also like to note that if an established freelancer doesn't earn money on Upwork for 30 days, their profile visibility will automatically change to private. This is checked daily, not once a month. If you aren't regularly earning on our platform, your profile may be set to private, even if you submit proposals and interview frequently. There are different ways of setting your profile to public again, one of which is contacting us directly so that we can set your profile visibility to public.

If your profile is set to private again after 30-days, or sometime in the future, check out the options listed in the email notification or in the pop up on Find Work page to set it back to public.
You may read more about this in this help article. 

As a gentle reminder, please be mindful of the Community Guidelines when posting in the Community. Thank you for your understanding.

-Avery
Untitled
20 of 27

This site is terrible. Thank you for confirming.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS