cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test Results

Stephanie M Member Since: Jan 14, 2015
1 of 11
Hi everyone.
I was just wondering which test scores you should show and which you should hide and re-do. I tried a forum search but didn't see many answers for what I'm looking for.

One post said that if you are not in the top 10% then you should retake the test until you are. But doesn't that make the results pretty pointless for clients? On the other hand if I need a 10% or higher to get jobs then let me at the re-dos.

I ask because I took the online article and blog writings skill test and got 4.40. A pass is 2.2. It says that I'm in the top 20% but now I'm not sure if that's good enough. I got 100% for all of the marketing, SEO, and writing questions but lost marks on some particulars to do with copywrite law. (You know there is a joke in there somewhere).

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Community Guru
Manish A Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
2 of 11

Hi Stephanie,

IMHO you should display your above average scores on your profile, for details you can check here

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
3 of 11

Whoa.... The comment about retaking tests until achieving a passing score in the top 10% might have come from me. That is just my opinion, and I do not even follow my own advice. I hide the 20% and 30% and rarely take time to retake tests.

Test scores are very important especially for those just starting out. I am older and have decades of hand-on experience in a variety of fields. I no longer need to "sell" myself based on test scores and industry certifications or even education. My professional resume (not the one posted on oDesk) and references are what I use to demonstrate by accomplishments, skills, abilities, and my track record of success.

Each freelancer needs to decide for themselves what tests and how many tests to take, what tests they will or will not show results for, and what effect their scores might or might not have in the hiring process. The answer to those questions will vary from freelancer to freelancer.

There are few if any statistics available to assist freelancers in making those decisions. What works best for you is the best route to take.

Community Guru
4 of 11

I would rather suggest to make these tests PAID (at a nominal fees). So nobody should take them for fun.

Community Guru
5 of 11

LOL...not a bad idea except that charging for tests would probably result in an uproar. Still, kudos for Manish!

Actually, I have seen some freelancer profiles where all they seem able to do is takes tests. Passing pertinent tests is very important; however, in some cases people that do well on tests are unable to apply their learning in an efficient and economical manner.

Success depends on the person, and it has a lot to do with the opportunities persons are given as a part of life.

Community Guru
6 of 11

Exactly, you have given words to my thoughts.

If a person is repeatedly working hard to improve test-scores, he (or) she must work harder on their skills rather.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
7 of 11

It definitely helps to be top 10%, but it's useful to list 20% scores as well - but aim to get them up into 10% with retests. it depends on the job as well - if they're looking for a real expert in a particular skill, thern 10% may be considered essential - but if a mix of skills, 20%s may be OK,

A hint - it's hard to get now, as the figure isn't given, but if you click on the details for one of your tests it will show (e.g.) "you scored no. 2134 out of 19,480 who took the test." So you can calculate that (former divided by latter) your % is just under 11. And although it doesn't show it on your profile, 11% and 19% are both top 20% - but if you know that exact figure then you know a bit more clearly what you're up against in re-taking to get into top 10%.

Community Guru
8 of 11

Great hint SB. Kudos on that!

Stephanie M Member Since: Jan 14, 2015
9 of 11
Stephen B thanks so much. I did the math and I'm actually at 8%! So now I'm a little ticked off because being at 8% and showing Top 20% instead of Top 10% is a really big difference. Do you think this could be changed if I contacted the help desk?
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
10 of 11

@Stephanie... I can see that you have 88 percentile (That puts you in top 12 %) . To check the correct percentile you can logout and search your public profile on google.

It is strange but odesk seem to have different views of profile. When you are logged in, it shows top 10%, top 20%, Top 30% etc. But when logged out it shows exact percentile score.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS