🐈 Community
bosmarosa

'Test expired'

Hi there,

Just today I was taking a test on Upwork (Social Media Marketing), which stated that I could continue the test by returning to the page - in case I need to interrupt it. I had a dinner break, and a few hours later, that very page tells me, "Your test has expired. You cannot retake this test before 11/26/2015 5:38:00 PM"
How come?

Thank you!

36 REPLIES 36
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rosa,

This test has a limited amount of time that you can spend answering each question. Were you on a page with a question when you left the test to take a break?

~ Valeria
Upwork

[edited by poster: addressed below]

Valeria,

Once you start a test, how can you not be on a page with a question?

Wondering,
Michael

Yes, I was on a page with a question and closed the tab of the Upwork test (indeed, it couldn't have been different ;-)). I presumed that this would prevent time running out, but it didn't... This also wasn't communicated by Upwork in any way, not even the time limit for the break was mentioned.

@Michael

If you close the window or navigate to an other page, then you won't be on a page with a question anymore.

If you leave the test page open, the timer just runs out on the question, then loads the next question and so on until the test is over.

However, it seems like you can just continue the test at any time if you lost your connection / closed the window.

I've already reported a bug related to that and according to my ticket the tech team is fixing that bug.

Maybe the expired test could have something to do with whatever the tech team did.

@Sebastian N wrote:

@Michael

If you close the window or navigate to an other page, then you won't be on a page with a question anymore.

If you leave the test page open, the timer just runs out on the question, then loads the next question and so on until the test is over. 

@Sebastian,

Thanks for clarifying! (I read Valeria's question as implying the need to serially navigate to a non-question page and then "leave.")

You suggest that closing the window or navigating from it—i.e., terminating the session rather than just taking focus off the open page—is needed for recoverable "leaving," is that right? Would closing the tab, as reported by the OP, be expected to be read by the system as termination, or as shifting focus from a still-open window?

Best,

MM

@Michael

Taking focus off the page doesn't stop the timer for me.

And it shouldn't do that because you could just browse for the question/answer on a different tab with a frozen timer if that was possible. (Unless you mean something else when you say taking focus off)

There is also no link that I know of on the test pages to navigate somewhere else.

Therefor the only way to 'leave' a test is to navigate to an other url / close the tab / close the browser.

I played around with that some days ago on a test that I didn't want to finish anyway. (Then filed a bug report afterwards)

A session always terminates when one of the following happens:

* Lost internet connection (But there will be a reconnection when the internet is back, so I would close the tab in that case)

* Browser tab closed

* Browser closed

* Navigate to a different website/url

My opinion is that they should remove that feature and just disallow us from continuing a test from where we left off. It's just too flawed and leads to people getting top scores in literally no time.

@Sebastian,

OK, thanks!

So since the OP says she closed the test page tab, she should have (under the present dispensation) been able to resume the test. Could be a bug. Could be a hiccup. [See below.]

Best,
MM

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Sebastian,

OK, thanks!

So since the OP says she closed the test page tab, she should have (under the present dispensation) been able to resume the test. Could be a bug. Could be a hiccup.

Best,
MM

Michael/MM,

It's not a hiccup but has been an ongoing issue for as long as I have been using this site. 

The wording suggests you can come back at a later point in time (of your choice) to finish the test, when - in fact - you can't.

Ela

Thanks, Ela!

I sit corrected.

Best,
MM

@Douglas Michael M wrote:
Thanks, Ela!

I sit corrected.

Best,
MM

I like the sentiment.

E.

It's even more confusing with the 2 different test systems that are used.

Some tests take you to expertrating (most of the tests) and some tests are directly on upwork.

For the ones on upwork, it is possible to continue them at a later time.

I didn't play around with the expertrating tests.

@Sebastian N wrote:

It's even more confusing with the 2 different test systems that are used.

Some tests take you to expertrating (most of the tests) and some tests are directly on upwork.

For the ones on upwork, it is possible to continue them at a later time.

I didn't play around with the expertrating tests.

They keep saying that all tests are ExpertRating tests - what makes you think otherwise? 

@Ela K wrote:

They keep saying that all tests are ExpertRating tests - what makes you think otherwise? 

They are visually different. The one on the left is what I refered to as "upwork test" and the one on the right is what I refered to as "expertrating test". You are right, they might very well both be expertrating tests.

For the "Upwork test" (the one on the left) I didn't have any issue continuing it. After waiting 1-2 days it even reset to "Question 1 of 45". (Might be related to the ticket that I filed, so maybe CS reset it [?])

I didn't experiment with the "expertrating tests". But from what you said and what the OP experienced, it's safe to assume that those don't let you continue them at a later time.

tests.png

Hi there, 

i was was in the middle of passing a premiere test this afternoon, I had read I could interupt it and come back to it if needed. I just came back to it a few minutes ago and the test abruptly closed down when apparently while it said I still had another half an hour of questions to answer to. Off course I failed, it says now I cannot pass this test for another month, which is extremely annoying as it is one of my main skills, can you let me know what I should do?

thank you.

b.

Hi Bastien,

Could you please submit a ticket request about this issue? We will follow up.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

• Hi Valeria, I have been browsing the help center, through the link you provided,  am not being given the option to submit a ticket, can you let me know how I do that?

Hi Bastien,

Someone from our team will follow up with you shortly regarding this issue.

Untitled

Read all the above - especially Ela's post.  Whatever the reasons and whatever the test page says, you can't return to a test. You will just have to wait out the month . . .

😞 

Edited to add: But maybe Valeria can fix it - she probably can! 😉

Hi, thank you, read it all.  I believe we should be prompted to try to finish the test in one session, the whole thing was pretty unclear, and mention that we would not be able to pass the test for another month. As a newbie, to this site, try my best to understand all aspects of it, such set backs are extremely frustrating.

If you are going to take a test, then sit down and take the whole test at one time. Period.

Dont get up and leave during the test.

I don't know if you're getting up and leaving because you need to stop your dog from playing in traffic, or because you were asked some difficult questions and you decided to go read up on the subject some more before finishing the test.

Dearest Preston H, 

Let me tell you first that I really apreciate the patronizing tone with which you answered my question, so kudos to you and your site, we feel all welcome to discuss issues with you guys.

To the point: in any other circumstances I WOULD have sat down to take the test IF it was mentioned I MUST DO SO.

Right before the test, and aparently this has posed a lot of problems for other people also,  IT SAYS WE CAN INTERUPT the test and come back to it later as long as the window is left open (or something along those lines, I can´t check since I can´t repass the test for another month.)

NOWHERE DID IT SAY I WOULD AUTOMATICALY FAIL THE TEST AND i WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO REPASS IT FOR A WHOLE MONTH. As mentioned before I am not the only one who had the same problem, which shows that it has got nothing to do with the users but very much to do with the way rules are explained to users before they take the test. So please explain things clearly than you can patronize.

So i´d like to repass that test today please, in a given time if need be, since I was not made aware of those rules before took the test.

warmest regards,

b.

Hi Bastien,

I apologize for the inconvenience and frustration this has caused you. The Adobe Premiere test has been reset for you so you can take it earlier.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria, thanks so much for this, very much apreciated.

best regards, 

b.

I've searched the help and it says to submit a request. I have looked all over and can find no button or location to submit a request. I also see no way to access chat.

My only choices are "Check your Existing Requests" and "View Your Solved Requests."

I'm trying to figure out what happened with my testing. I started the English language (US) spelling test but had to stop after a few questions due to an interruption. It is my understanding that I'm supposed to be able to come back to it. However, it doesn't give me that option. It says I can re-take the test at the end of February. I don't know what is going on here. This happened with another test as well.

Please advise.

Hi Elyse,

I see that you have completed two tests successfully. Spelling test is not listed among the tests you've taken, so you still should be able to take it before the end of February. If you are getting an error, please send me a screenshot via a private message, by clicking on my name next to this post> "Send Private Message."

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

I, too, have had a test expire that I needed to step away from yesterday; and I, too, cannot submit a help request ticket or access live chat support.

The test I was taking (and killing, btw, before I had to head out) was Logo Design Skills Test. Can this please be reset for me?

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vanessa,

I'm sorry but you'll need to wait and take the test once it becomes available again. Please feel free to take any other tests relevant to your skillset in the meantime.

Untitled

Really now. You all ought to remove the line in the tests that clearly states that you are allowed to resume the test at a later time.

Vanessa,

Each question must be answered in the time limit shown at the top of the test window. If you want to step away, you have to close the window with the test and then, once you return to the start page and click the start button, you will be taken to the question where you left.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I did close the window, and the test still expired.

Hi Valeria,

I am writing as my 'Software Testing' test expired even though I haven't even started answerig questions yet.  I was just sitting in the first screen before starting the test.  Not it's telling me I have to wait for a whole month to complete this  (see attached).

Is there any way you can unlock this for me so I can sit the test without waiting that long since I didn't stop in the middle of the test like other people here but I hadn't even started it yet?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jose

Hi Jose,

I'll forward your request to reset the test to the team and they'll assist you as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Upwork
ustechninja

Tests need a better system for sure. I closed out the tab while in the test. Came back to resume, then it said it was expired and I had to wait a month ot retake? I was on question 25 of 40. It wasn't completed. 

Hi Joseph,

Could you please tell us the title of the test you are referring to?

~ Valeria
Upwork

I was working on the U.S. Version of the English Vocab Test, then closed the window to stop it and take a break.

I was on the 12th question, I think.

Now it says that I have to wait a month to retake it.

Is there a way I could resume where I was or just start anew?

Hi Matthew,

It looks like you have completed that test with a good score and you can make it public on your profile. You can retake it in a month if you want to improve that score.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Learning Paths