🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Test job remuneration
Page options
bb29da59
Community Member

Test job remuneration

Hello all,

I have a small confusion. I am new here and could not find relevant information so please help. I applied for a job and the client asked me to do test reports which according to him will take approx an hour. I had quoted a rate of $5 per hour for the job which had a range of $3-5. I asked for test remuneration and he said $4. I thought that it is okay for a test so I said yes. Now the client has sent a contract with $5. Is it against Upwork TOS to do a test below your quoted price? I have not accepted the contract at $4 or $5 yet and also have not started any work. Please guide.

8 REPLIES 8
ceefaeca
Community Member

It is not against ToS as long as you are keeping payments through Upwork. At what rate you want to work is your decision. 

Thanks very much, Aru for your guidance! But then why would someone offer a contract with $5 when I agreed for $4.. This is confusing to me.

Well, they are just trying to bargain I think. I'd recommend asking them directly, assuming things can be bad!

petra_r
Community Member

Devayani G wrote:

But then why would someone offer a contract with $5 when I agreed for $4.. This is confusing to me.

Because it is impossible to create a contract for $4

The minimum on Upwork is $5.

You also want to think about why you apply for a contract with an hourly rate of $4-5 when your profile rate is $22. Be careful taking cheap work as it creates an impression of you that lasts and can make it harder for you in the future to raise your rate.  

bb29da59
Community Member

Thank you Petra! I never thought about this. I will remember henceforth.
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

No, it is not against the TOS to accept an offer that is higher or lower than your quoted rate or rate is given in your profile. 

What matters is the rate agreed between you two and the offer received from the client, regardless of what you quoted. You can also decline an offer if the client sends an offer that is less than what you agreed upon. 

In your case it seems like an oversight on your client's part, he sent the offer without editing the hourly rate agreed and simply accepted what you quoted. 

It is better to inform him and ask him to make the changes to avoid any future conflict! 

Thank you very much, Ashraf! Maybe the client did it by oversight. I will inform him. Thanks once again!

Thanks Aru and Ashraf! I spoke with the client and he said he could not add any amount below $5 for a milestone. Hee is okay with $5 test. So matter sorted. Thanks for your support ☺️
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members