🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Text to a good freelancer
Page options
kicsee
Community Member

Text to a good freelancer

Hi!

I just created an agency and I'm trying to find the best freelancer in this job field and I was wondering if there a way to connect with that freelancer whom I feel like they would be a good fit in my team?

My agency services are data entry/data analysis and I would like to talk with freelancers maybe they would be interested in the future to connect with an agency?

How can I text to a freelancer who I see on UpWork?

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Adam K wrote:

My agency services are data entry/data analysis and I would like to talk with freelancers maybe they would be interested in the future to connect with an agency?

You can't.

Essentially agencies are meant to be staffed by people you know in real life.

Why would great freelancers ever want to be joining some agency and hand over another chunk of their earnings AND be seen as agency freelancers (as are you now) which can prevent many clients from hiring you or even looking at your proposal?

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Adam K wrote:

Hi!

I just created an agency and I'm trying to find the best freelancer in this job field and I was wondering if there a way to connect with that freelancer whom I feel like they would be a good fit in my team?

How can I text to a freelancer who I see on UpWork?

Thanks!

The only way to connect with a freelancer is via a job posting, where you can send out invitations. You can then communicate with freelancers through upwork messaging if they respond to your invitation.

Just curious, how will you incentivise freelancers to join an agency? Very successful freelancers who do well on their own will stay miles away from joining an agency, and it's a quite well established fact that the majority of clients prefer to work with a freelancer, not an agency. 

Hi!

Thanks for the answer!

I was thinking about how the process would work as an agency. I will apply for jobs(as an agency) and after I got the job lets say 10$/hrs I can outsource the job to one of my team members in the agency for a $8/hrs (just an example)? 

My friends wanted to work on UpWork but they can't really get a job because they do not really have any work feedback (yet). They just want to work, so I have created an agency and with my experience and good feedbacks  I can give them some easy work(Data Entry/Data Analysis). I was wondering if I can speak with a freelancer without any invitation/proposal. (4-5 of them would like to work and I create a group to find a job)

So after I got a job as an agency I can invite a freelancer to check if they are interested in the job what the agency is currently got?

I would focus on starters who can't get a job and they want to work. I would not hire "professionals", because they can work individually perfectly, but honestly, the majority of people just want to have an ongoing job on the side and if I can provide this to them they would be part of an agency.

Thanks and best,

Adam

petra_r
Community Member

Adam K wrote:

I was thinking about how the process would work as an agency. I will apply for jobs(as an agency) and after I got the job lets say 10$/hrs I can outsource the job to one of my team members in the agency for a $8/hrs (just an example)? 

No. You can never apply "as an agency" you would apply on behalf of the freelancers in your agency. So you would apply on behalf of "Jack in your agency" at - say, $ 10 an hour. The client hires "Jack in your agency" through the agency, pays the agency $ 10 an hour. The agency  pays Upwork $ 2 an hour and "Jack in your agency", say $ 6 an hour outside Upwork. "Jack in your agency" will see what you sell him out at, of course.

The client gets a $ 6 an hour freelancer for their $ 10 an hour.

Adam K wrote:

I can give them some easy work(Data Entry/Data Analysis). I was wondering if I can speak with a freelancer without any invitation/proposal.

No. And you must not create job posts to recruit people for your agency either. That would be fake job posts and not allowed.

Adam K wrote:

I would focus on starters who can't get a job and they want to work. I would not hire "professionals", because they can work individually perfectly, but honestly, the majority of people just want to have an ongoing job on the side and if I can provide this to them they would be part of an agency.

Great, so you want to earn money marketing inexperienced random no-hopers to your clients. You will be 100% responsible for the work they do... That's a far cry from your original claim that you  are "trying to find the best freelancer in this job field "

Good luck with that.

kicsee
Community Member

Best freelancers might don't have feedback on their profile because didn't get recognized (yet) so they would easily connect to an agency. I never judge people who don't have feedback on their profile, they could still do a professional job they just didn't get the opportunity yet. These are my friends and already worked clients. That would be the team in my agency.

First of all, answer for your text "so you want to earn money marketing inexperienced random no-hopers to your clients", they are my friends and my already worked freelancers on UpWork so you don't need to worry about that! 🙂 I will handle it 🙂 

I will stay with my already known clients whom I trust in. I get so negative answers about agency creations but you are the one who promotes it. 

"Good luck with that." - Thanks for the ongoing support!

Best,

Adam

petra_r
Community Member

Adam wrote:

These are my friends and already worked clients. That would be the team in my agency.

Sorry, if they are your friends, why would you have to text / find them on Upwork? Don't you know how to contact your own friends?

One minute you want to "find the best..." - the next you want to find "beginners", and then you say those are "your friends..."

Adam wrote:

I get so negative answers about agency creations but you are the one who promotes it. 

I certainly do no such thing. (promote agencies)

kicsee
Community Member

Beginners on UpWork. I'm not sure what the point of an agency if you say only bad things about it. I want to create a group of people who didn't get the opportunity to work individually. 3 friends of mine from real-life already registered in UpWork but didn't even got interviewed. So that's why I come in the picture and say I know this person who can make the work. So I apply on behalf of Jack.

Back to the main question I was curious if there is a job what we can't do (but it's not that large just a few hours work) can i text to a freelancer to help me out? I just wanted to know this but this escalated to a bigger conversation! 🙂 

So an agency is the best if they are a group of friends in real-life right? I have the work experience and routine in working as a freelancer and my friends want to involved they just couldn't get started, so that's why I can help them through an agency.

Upwork always take 20% of Clients - Agency payment too?

We agree with a client for 10$/hrs to the agency. Upwork take 2$ so the agency get 8$/hrs and I can decide how much I give to my members right?

Have a nice day!

Best,

Adam

petra_r
Community Member

Adam K wrote:

Back to the main question I was curious if there is a job what we can't do (but it's not that large just a few hours work) can i text to a freelancer to help me out?

No, you can not outsource parts of your or your agency member's  hourly contracts to anyone. And no, you can't text random freelancers.

Adam K wrote:

Upwork always take 20% of Clients - Agency payment too?

For the first $ 500, sure.

Adam K wrote:

We agree with a client for 10$/hrs to the agency. Upwork take 2$ so the agency get 8$/hrs and I can decide how much I give to my members right?

Yes, but the client hires NOT the agency, but the agency member, through the agency. The agency member can see what the client pays the agency. You pay your agency member whatever you agreed, and do so outside of Upwork.

Adam K wrote:

So an agency is the best if they are a group of friends in real-life right?

Yes.

kicsee
Community Member

Thanks for the detailed answers. So why would an agency be the best to hire? If they saw that they could hire that person for less $ and the person also see that he worths actually more?

Thanks!

Best,

Adam

petra_r
Community Member

Adam K wrote:

Thanks for the detailed answers. So why would an agency be the best to hire? If they saw that they could hire that person for less $ and the person also see that he worths actually more?

It seems you are getting my point 😉

In my personal opinion agencies work either for groups who work together and share (!) any profits, or for people who hire out their actual employees on Upwork. They work badly for what you are intending to do.

Many clients will not touch any agency freelancers at all, and just being associated with an agency (this means you always appear as an agency freelancer on the applicant list) can result in being hired less.

kicsee
Community Member

How i can help my friends if they want to get started? Agency still can be an option, isn't it?

Adam K wrote:

How i can help my friends if they want to get started? Agency still can be an option, isn't it?

I don't know much about agencies, so take this with a pinch of salt. I can only think of 2 ways that an agency might help your friends: 

1. A potential client might think, "This freelancer has no Upwork history, but at least she has an agency behind her that might help pick up the pieces if things go wrong."

2. You will be writing the proposals, and perhaps you're better at that than your less-experienced friends. 

Neither of these sounds like much of an advantage. As far as #1 is concerned, it could make things worse, since many clients avoid agencies, as Petra mentioned. In place of #2 you could give your friends some help with writing their proposals.

Thank you very much for your answer. 

I was thinking the same options which would lead us to advantage, there are people who are too afraid to get things started if you know what I mean, but if a friend is nearby who do the same (me) they are more likely to consider.

Best,

Adam

Adam K wrote:

Thank you very much for your answer. 

I was thinking the same options which would lead us to advantage, there are people who are too afraid to get things started if you know what I mean, but if a friend is nearby who do the same (me) they are more likely to consider.

Best,

Adam

I don't know what you mean, but I'm getting concerned about your friends. Freelancing is not for everybody, it requires an independent mind-set. If your friends don't have that, and you need to nudge them along, you are not doing them any favors. 

What I read between the lines is your intention of gathering a number of inexperienced newbies under your wing and hoping that by sheer numbers some of them win a contract and therefore money for you.

That could work, but probably won't because: 1. clients are less willing to work with agencies and 2. you are responsible for the outcome, don't know yourself if the freelancer is any good, and your agency will sink like a stone due to bad feedback.  

petra_r
Community Member

Adam K wrote:

Sure, but it will likely result in you winning less contracts yourself. Also, you need to remember that the majority of new freelancers never win a contract (agency or not agency.) Upwork is a super competitive platform and not for everyone.

kicsee
Community Member

That's true! I have previously worked with multinational companies where a lot of my friends are still there and would like to change to freelancing but are too afraid to give up their full-time work to something which is not 100% sure. That's why I was thinking to create an agency where I can give them smaller jobs on the side to get familiar with the lifestyle/platform. Maybe this can further develop to something. Just want to give it a try the hardest I can! 🙂

Thanks for all the help!

Best,

Adam

petra_r
Community Member

Adam K wrote:

You can't.

Essentially agencies are meant to be staffed by people you know in real life.

Why would great freelancers ever want to be joining some agency and hand over another chunk of their earnings AND be seen as agency freelancers (as are you now) which can prevent many clients from hiring you or even looking at your proposal?

kicsee
Community Member

Hi 

Thanks for the answer!

My friends wanted to work on UpWork but they can't really get a job because they do not really have any work feedback (yet). They just want to work, so I have created an agency and with my experience and good feedbacks  I can give them some easy work(Data Entry/Data Analysis). I assume there are loads of people out there who want to work but they don't get hired, so they would join an agency to got some work. My friends and these people would be my focus.

Best,

Adam

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths