cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text to a good freelancer

Ace Contributor
Adam K Member Since: Jan 17, 2018
11 of 18

How i can help my friends if they want to get started? Agency still can be an option, isn't it?

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
12 of 18

Adam K wrote:

How i can help my friends if they want to get started? Agency still can be an option, isn't it?

I don't know much about agencies, so take this with a pinch of salt. I can only think of 2 ways that an agency might help your friends: 

1. A potential client might think, "This freelancer has no Upwork history, but at least she has an agency behind her that might help pick up the pieces if things go wrong."

2. You will be writing the proposals, and perhaps you're better at that than your less-experienced friends. 

Neither of these sounds like much of an advantage. As far as #1 is concerned, it could make things worse, since many clients avoid agencies, as Petra mentioned. In place of #2 you could give your friends some help with writing their proposals.

Ace Contributor
13 of 18

Thank you very much for your answer. 

I was thinking the same options which would lead us to advantage, there are people who are too afraid to get things started if you know what I mean, but if a friend is nearby who do the same (me) they are more likely to consider.

Best,

Adam

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
14 of 18

Adam K wrote:

Thank you very much for your answer. 

I was thinking the same options which would lead us to advantage, there are people who are too afraid to get things started if you know what I mean, but if a friend is nearby who do the same (me) they are more likely to consider.

Best,

Adam

I don't know what you mean, but I'm getting concerned about your friends. Freelancing is not for everybody, it requires an independent mind-set. If your friends don't have that, and you need to nudge them along, you are not doing them any favors. 

What I read between the lines is your intention of gathering a number of inexperienced newbies under your wing and hoping that by sheer numbers some of them win a contract and therefore money for you.

That could work, but probably won't because: 1. clients are less willing to work with agencies and 2. you are responsible for the outcome, don't know yourself if the freelancer is any good, and your agency will sink like a stone due to bad feedback.  

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 18

Adam K wrote:

Sure, but it will likely result in you winning less contracts yourself. Also, you need to remember that the majority of new freelancers never win a contract (agency or not agency.) Upwork is a super competitive platform and not for everyone.

Ace Contributor
16 of 18

That's true! I have previously worked with multinational companies where a lot of my friends are still there and would like to change to freelancing but are too afraid to give up their full-time work to something which is not 100% sure. That's why I was thinking to create an agency where I can give them smaller jobs on the side to get familiar with the lifestyle/platform. Maybe this can further develop to something. Just want to give it a try the hardest I can! Smiley Happy

Thanks for all the help!

Best,

Adam

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
17 of 18

Adam K wrote:

My agency services are data entry/data analysis and I would like to talk with freelancers maybe they would be interested in the future to connect with an agency?

You can't.

Essentially agencies are meant to be staffed by people you know in real life.

Why would great freelancers ever want to be joining some agency and hand over another chunk of their earnings AND be seen as agency freelancers (as are you now) which can prevent many clients from hiring you or even looking at your proposal?

Ace Contributor
18 of 18

Hi 

Thanks for the answer!

My friends wanted to work on UpWork but they can't really get a job because they do not really have any work feedback (yet). They just want to work, so I have created an agency and with my experience and good feedbacks  I can give them some easy work(Data Entry/Data Analysis). I assume there are loads of people out there who want to work but they don't get hired, so they would join an agency to got some work. My friends and these people would be my focus.

Best,

Adam

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS