Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That's killing new freelancers!

inspire77
Ace Contributor
Lahcen S Member Since: Jun 19, 2017
1 of 95

Hello everyone,

Are you a new freelancer with no job yet?

Write an outstanding proposal and have a great profile and you GET HIRED!

No, it's not working that way.

WHY? Because clients tend to hire "top rated/rising talent" and with work history freelancers!

That's it.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 95

Lahcen, every one of us was brand new to Upwork at some point, and landed our first jobs despite competition from more experienced freelancers.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 95

Um ... just FYI - a great majority of us NEVER had a "rising talent" badge and we did just fine without one.

Oh, and all of us were new with no work history at one point, and we did just fine.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 95

Yeah I think everything I do is brilliant too and I should get every gig.

lascap_01
Community Guru
Pascal S Member Since: Mar 23, 2016
5 of 95

Lahcen S wrote:

WHY? Because clients tend to hire "top rated/rising talent" and with work history freelancers!

No they are not... just be patient and keep looking

like we all did!

niag
Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
6 of 95

The fact of the matter is this: Clients ultimately hire the freelancers who successfully show that they get the desired results. Titles and badges don't automatically mean that a person knows how to do that in proposals or interviews. While badges may attract some attention, they mean very little if a client isn't convinced that a freelancer can get their job done. 

Top Rated and Rising Talent freelancers get passed over all the time...just like everyone else. They don't land every job they apply to and, no doubt, they sometimes lose out to freelancers without those badges.

When focused on why *everyone else is making it hard for us to work here*, it robs us of time we could spend improving our chances and results. 

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 95

It's common sense that clients TEND to hire experienced freelancers. If I were a client, I'd prefer to hire someone who's shown they can do the same sort of work I'm requesting. BUT, if no experienced freelancers apply, because they're too busy, or my budget is too low, or the ones who apply ask for more than I'm willing to pay, THEN I would consider less experienced freelancers. SO, in order to get your foot in the door and gain some experience, a new freelancer has to be willing to do work that experienced freelancers in the same category are unwilling or unable to do.

Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 95

So you think the rest of us were born with an Upwork history and feedback?

@Lahcen S wrote:

Hello everyone,

Are you a new freelancer with no job yet?

Write an outstanding proposal and have a great profile and you GET HIRED!

No, it's not working that way.

No, of COURSE it doesn't work that way. There is more to it and I have no idea where you got the above nonsense from?

Plus, with all due respect, you don't have a great profile yet, far from it.

barada00
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
9 of 95

Why don't you translate from French to Arabic and vice versa? Maybe that's why.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
10 of 95

The best clients come to Upwork to hire someone who is talented, efficient and experienced, although not necessarily experienced with Upwork.  They want someone who understands their needs and wants and who has the background to get it done for them, correctly.

If your profile indicates expertise and experience, either on or off the platform, you will inevitably find work.  If you don't, freelancing may not be the career choice for you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS