Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That's killing new freelancers!

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
31 of 95

That's impressive, Santiago. I had 20+ years in my field, a relevant graduate degree and well over a decade of freelancing experience when I arrived at Upwork and it took me about a month to land my first client here. I've seen others say that it took even longer.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
32 of 95

Santiago, your comment made me laugh.  Don't share it with your wife though ... she might insist on reverting back to the dating ritual.  Smiley Wink

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
33 of 95

@Tiffany S wrote:

That's impressive, Santiago. I had 20+ years in my field, a relevant graduate degree and well over a decade of freelancing experience when I arrived at Upwork and it took me about a month to land my first client here. I've seen others say that it took even longer.

Depends how picky you are. Santiago has a very low rate, winning the race for the bottom is easier than winning the race for the top.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
corati
Community Guru
Corinne L Member Since: Jun 3, 2013
34 of 95

Well, sometimes you're just lucky. I got hired with my first proposal. I remember I made some lousy joke about the job (usually I can't help it) and maybe that's why I've been hired. (well, it WAS funny). But what happened then is that my client told me "you know, I'm going to make an upfront payment so that you can focus on the job instead of worrying if you're going to be paid!" So, I think it was my lucky day! Definitely a great client!

yurynmuz
Community Leader
Yury M Member Since: Jun 16, 2017
35 of 95

Well, sometimes you're just lucky. I got hired with my first proposal. I remember I made some lousy joke about the job (usually I can't help it) and maybe that's why I've been hired. (well, it WAS funny). But what happened then is that my client told me "you know, I'm going to make an upfront payment so that you can focus on the job instead of worrying if you're going to be paid!" So, I think it was my lucky day! Definitely a great client!

===========

Cheers for so good idea

I'm new here.

Will start the first lines with jokes & anecdotes

chrisskyes
Chris S Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
36 of 95

Hello Lahcen, allow me to share some of my thoughts.

I filled out my profile on Upwork four months ago and got my first job maybe a week or two after constantly applying. When freelancing, Stoicism is a very handy philosophy to follow. In essence, nobody here is entitled to work, or a job of any sort. Everyone here is constantly improving, constantly learning and constantly working hard.

I spent those first two weeks devouring every single resource I could find related to Upwork and online freelancing. I watched YouTube videos, read articles, even paid for a course on Udemy. All those things helped shed some light on how clients think and what they're looking for, how to structure a profile, etc. Consider all this time an investment into your future freelancing career.

After devouring all said resources, I started searching for freelancers on the website who had similar skills and read through their profiles. I noticed some key elements and incorporated them into my own profile.

I started 4 months ago, worked hard to make my profile and portfolio look as good as possible (see the resources mentioned above), and constantly applied to jobs. Faced a lot of rejection, some frustration, but to date, I've completed 14 jobs, some of which are recurring work.

Constantly seek to better yourself and you will eventually land your first client. After that, keep treating every client like your first client. Do a great job and that will start a snowballing effect.

Hope that helped!

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
37 of 95

The only thing killing new freelancers is new freelancers. So many people come here and plagerize profiles, lie about their skills, lie about their fluency in languages that clients have beome weary of new freelancers. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
altheasagayno
Ace Contributor
Althea Maefe S Member Since: Nov 6, 2014
38 of 95

Newbies always make this claim, that only experienced on get hired.

1. We all started at the same point: ZERO.

2. Whining does not help. Ever.

3. There are ways to get hired even if you are new.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
39 of 95

Let's keep in mind that the job proposals written by most newbies are simply terrible.

Clients, seeing these job proposals, immediately dismiss them.

If you are a serious, experienced professional, you can come here, work hard, and establish yourself.

If you're just here for money and you don't really have impressive skills or experience, then you're wasting your time.

quijibo
Community Guru
Alexander F Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
40 of 95

Katrina B wrote:

The only thing killing new freelancers is new freelancers. So many people come here and plagerize profiles, lie about their skills, lie about their fluency in languages that clients have beome weary of new freelancers. 

Totally agree. There is 0 quality control in Upwork and it is now a zoo.

So you learned English as a second language in school? Congratulations! That now makes you a certified translator.

Oh, you can write "me very good"?  Well, welcome to the writing club, you can now apply for any writing jobs.

FInished watching some YouTube videos about drawing lines in Illustrator? Now you can call yourself a graphic designer, start sending in your proposals. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS