Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That's killing new freelancers!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
41 of 95

@Alexander F wrote:

Totally agree. There is 0 quality control in Upwork and it is now a zoo.

So you learned English as a second language in school? Congratulations! That now makes you a certified translator.

Oh, you can write "me very good"?  Well, welcome to the writing club, you can now apply for any writing jobs.

FInished watching some YouTube videos about drawing lines in Illustrator? Now you can call yourself a graphic designer, start sending in your proposals. 

lol

And don't worry if you have no portfolio. Just steal it from someone else. It's cool. You need a portfolio right?

chrisskyes
Chris S Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
42 of 95

Luckily I'd say people like that tend to get filtered out pretty quickly during the application process. They do probably get through sometimes, which leads to them getting horrifically bad feedback and thus making it nearly impossible to get any other jobs.

Doing a reverse image search or checking text is pretty easy to do, provided that the client knows how to do it.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
43 of 95

Chris, the problem with that is that most buyers, unless they have been taken/burned by a FLer, don't know to run checks.

Coupled with that, Upwork, like many similar platforms, gives the impression that all FLers are vetted.  We know better ....

yurynmuz
Community Leader
Yury M Member Since: Jun 16, 2017
44 of 95

I can not agree that clients tend to hire only "TOPS"

I'm on 5err also and can say that buyers hire new freelancers who are "visible" - not hidden by system.

I've got there my very first big orders when my reputation was ZERO.

Now my reputation there is not ZERO with perfect reviews - but I'm invisible for new buyers there - so no new orders.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
45 of 95

Hi Yuri,

I responded to your post on the other thread and other users also confirmed proposals are not hidden on Upwork. I'd appreciate if you would refrain from reposting the same statement in order to avoid creating a confusion, especially in case of new users.

Untitled
yurynmuz
Community Leader
Yury M Member Since: Jun 16, 2017
46 of 95

Cheers Vladimir

Have a great day.

tj1972
Community Guru
Tamaz J Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
47 of 95

Hi,

In those days back Elance had a very nice statistics page. There were interesting data on many things. Having getting first job on Elance statistics was among them.

So, according to that statistics it was taking about 30 - 40 proposals on avarage until new freelancer will get first job. Based on my experience with Elance that appeared to be true. 

However, on Odesk it took me much faster. 

BTW. Upwork, why don't you want to have something similar to that here - I mean statistics page on various topics?

Thanks

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
48 of 95

Hi Tamaz,

Thank you for posting your suggestion in the Community. We shared similar feedback before with our team but don't have any new information we can share with our users yet.

Untitled
inspire77
Ace Contributor
Lahcen S Member Since: Jun 19, 2017
49 of 95

To sum it up: I’m NOT whining or complaining.

We start from zero, I know. It seems that some of you think that I came here to earn easy money with zero skills and experience. No, I’m not.

I don’t lie. I’m a professional and trusted person. What’s on my profile is what I am.

Nothing to say to those who mocked me. I’m not a native speaker of English, but I don’t laugh at others.

Steal a portfolio? No, I won’t. Be sure of that. I have more than 4 years of experience and I own unlimited documents. Maybe you don’t see that on my profile. I’ll load it in the coming few days when I get permission from the owners of the documents.

Proposals? I don’t copy-paste them and I don’t write terrible ones. I write a good proposal for each job.

Yes, you can get hired without a “top-rated” or “rising talent” badge. I get it. What I don’t get is when I proposed for a job (less than 5 proposed) in which the client needs 3 freelancers. The job was closed in a couple of hours and the proposals were still less than 5. I didn’t get hired. The next day, I checked to see who got hired. I look at the profile and portfolio of one of those 3 freelances. I opened a document he had translated and what a shock! Mistakes here and there. The client ignored me because I have no work history and no badges. He hired, instead, someone with badges but with poor quality work. Enough said.

Thank you.

millermelanie
Community Guru
Melanie M Member Since: Jul 13, 2016
50 of 95

I came here with a degree and 30 years experience in my field.  My profile is also true and accurate, and I am a trusted professional.  I STILL had to make my bones here.

As for the client hiring an inferior freelancer, the freelancer likely offered to do the job below budget, and the client got what he paid for.  I just laugh when I see that happen and congratulate myself on dodging a bullet, because that is NOT the kind of person I want to work for.  Now, once the client has learned his lesson, then he is welcome to tuck his tail between his legs and ask me nicely if I will do the job. Then I accept and tell him what it's going to cost him to get it done right.  

See, it's a learning curve for BOTH sides!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS