Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

That's killing new freelancers!

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
51 of 95

@Lahcen S wrote:

 


I don’t lie. I’m a professional and trusted person. What’s on my profile is what I am.

 


You posted in Writing & Translation and you received answers and advice, the most recent one from a big translation client. Despite all of this, you have decided that you are doing the right thing.

 

In  this case, I suggest that you don't change anything. Keep doing the same thing again and again. And hope for a different outcome each time.

 

Good luck.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
52 of 95

@Rene K wrote:

@Lahcen S wrote:

 


I don’t lie. I’m a professional and trusted person. What’s on my profile is what I am.

 


You posted in Writing & Translation and you received answers and advice, the most recent one from a big translation client. Despite all of this, you have decided that you are doing the right thing.


 That is what I find so frustrating.

 

People spend considerable time reviewing someone's profile, then more time pointing out how they could be more successful, and at best it gets ignored, at worst it gets thrown back in one's face, and then one has to wade through heaps of posts all over beeping (saving poor mods the trouble of editing it) how NONE of it has anything to do with the fact that the profile is doing nothing to attract clients, and how it's all the fault of the system.

inspire77
Ace Contributor
Lahcen S Member Since: Jun 19, 2017
53 of 95

@Petra R wrote:

That is what I find so frustrating.

People spend considerable time reviewing someone's profile, then more time pointing out how they could be more successful, and at best it gets ignored, at worst it gets thrown back in one's face, and then one has to wade through heaps of posts all over beeping (saving poor mods the trouble of editing it) how NONE of it has anything to do with the fact that the profile is doing nothing to attract clients, and how it's all the fault of the system.


 

No, Petra. I didn't ignore anything of what you said about my profile when you reviewed it.

I'm thankful and I'm taking action to do the necessary.

inspire77
Ace Contributor
Lahcen S Member Since: Jun 19, 2017
54 of 95

@Rene K wrote:

You posted in Writing & Translation and you received answers and advice, the most recent one from a big translation client. Despite all of this, you have decided that you are doing the right thing.

In  this case, I suggest that you don't change anything. Keep doing the same thing again and again. And hope for a different outcome each time.

Good luck.


 

No, Rene. I'm taking action. It'll take a few days.

I'm also thankful for your advice in Writing & Translation.

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
55 of 95

@Lahcen S wrote:

To sum it up: I’m NOT whining or complaining.

 

Okay -- so what is the point of your postings? Do you simply want us all to agree with you that the system is "rigged" or "unfair" ? (And how is that not a "complaint"?) 


The client ignored me because I have no work history and no badges. He hired, instead, someone with badges but with poor quality work. Enough said.

 

I will reiterate here a question I posed previously: What is your proposed solution to this observed problem/situation/phenomenon?  (See also Nia's excellent point, cogently argued:  You have inferred causation where you can only prove correlation. You do not actually know for sure that the reason the client did not hire you was "because [you] have no work history and no badges.")


Thank you.


 

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
56 of 95

@Janean L wrote:

@Lahcen S wrote:

To sum it up: I’m NOT whining or complaining.

 

Okay -- so what is the point of your postings? Do you simply want us all to agree with you that the system is "rigged" or "unfair" ? (And how is that not a "complaint"?) 


The client ignored me because I have no work history and no badges. He hired, instead, someone with badges but with poor quality work. Enough said.

 

I will reiterate here a question I posed previously: What is your proposed solution to this observed problem/situation/phenomenon?  (See also Nia's excellent point, cogently argued:  You have inferred causation where you can only prove correlation. You do not actually know for sure that the reason the client did not hire you was "because [you] have no work history and no badges.")


Thank you.


 


 There you go Janean, maybe you have something there. Maybe Upwork should add, "Reason for decline" "There were no badges"  

 

Reminds me of an old classic movie Blazing Saddles. "Badges, we don't need no stinking badges." lolol

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
57 of 95

@Janean L wrote:

  (See also Nia's excellent point, cogently argued:  You have inferred causation where you can only prove correlation. You do not actually know for sure that the reason the client did not hire you was "because [you] have no work history and no badges.")


Thank you.


 


 What's especially interesting about this is that different new Upworkers come to the forums and make different impassioned statements, and most seem to be entirely certain as to what the obstacle is: they're not being considered because their proposals are hidden, or because they don't have 90% JSS, or because they're outside the U.S., or because their rates are too high...each reports the same experience, but with categorical attribution to a different cause.

inspire77
Ace Contributor
Lahcen S Member Since: Jun 19, 2017
58 of 95

@Janean L wrote:

Okay -- so what is the point of your postings?

A fact.

 

What is your proposed solution to this observed problem/situation/phenomenon?

It's not up to me. From my part, I can only do what it takes (great portfolio/tailored proposals...etc) to get hired.

 

You do not actually know for sure that the reason the client did not hire you was "because [you] have no work history and no badges.

No, but eventually they hired someone with terrible translation mistakes.


Thank you.

niag
Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
59 of 95
To be honest, Lachen, it kinda sounds like complaining. We are trying to be helpful but can only answer you based on what you say here.

In reference to checking back on that job, you cannot say for sure why that other freelancer was hired. You can't attribute it to badges just because those are what were visible to you. You didn't see that person's proposal, his bid or anything else that might have persuaded the client to hire him. In that way, it sounds like you're looking for something to pin your lack of success so far on. It's an assumption.

As for writing good proposals, are they good in your eyes or good from the client's perspective? These are often two different things. It takes many people a long time to learn how to frame things to really appeal to clients, even when they think they're doing well all along. Accepting that you might have a bit to learn about how to succeed here might help.


inspire77
Ace Contributor
Lahcen S Member Since: Jun 19, 2017
60 of 95

@Nia G wrote:
To be honest, Lachen, it kinda sounds like complaining. We are trying to be helpful but can only answer you based on what you say here.

Believe me, I'm not complaining. I just think loudly.

As for writing good proposals, are they good in your eyes or good from the client's perspective? These are often two different things. It takes many people a long time to learn how to frame things to really appeal to clients, even when they think they're doing well all along. Accepting that you might have a bit to learn about how to succeed here might help.

I agree.

 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS