cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That's killing new freelancers!

chrisskyes
Chris S Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
61 of 95

Lachen, the reason why I believe your post has attached a bit of attention from other freelancers is this:

We all started out with no feedback, score or badges. We all had to work to get our first job, and continue to work to find more jobs.

Your post, whether you intended it to sound like that or not, implies that you believe we somehow got jobs through luck, or because we started earlier than you, therefore invalidating all the work and sacrifice that went into it all.

That's why people are taking it personally, and rather understandably, in my opinion.

inspire77
Ace Contributor
Lahcen S Member Since: Jun 19, 2017
62 of 95

@Chris S wrote:

That's why people are taking it personally, and rather understandably, in my opinion.

They shouldn't take it personally. It's a discussion. I do respect every opinion here.

fitts_laurel
Laurel F Member Since: Oct 21, 2016
63 of 95

I know it's frustrating! We all dealt with the same thing.

Tip: Offer a super low price! People are willing to take a chance on a good deal. Then, you can get a few reviews. My first job was $8 an hour. I only got $7.20 once Upwork took its fee out, but once I had one, it was easier to get others.

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
64 of 95

@Laurel F wrote:

I know it's frustrating! We all dealt with the same thing.

Tip: Offer a super low price! People are willing to take a chance on a good deal. Then, you can get a few reviews. My first job was $8 an hour. I only got $7.20 once Upwork took its fee out, but once I had one, it was easier to get others.

And you will probably work at that right for the rest of your life, or at least for the rest of your stay here. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

niag
Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
65 of 95

While this arguably might help to get your first few jobs, it usually doesn't get you high-quality clients in the long term. Truly good clients see low prices and run. Understandably, to them, price is indicative of quality. In effect, while trying to win any ol' first job, a freelancer could be scaring away great clients. 

I'm sure that most experienced FL's would agree that it's better (and easier, in a way) to start out positioning themselves to win the better clients. Even with no experience here, it can be done. 

Lowering prices is not really a deal. It's just giving cheap client what they want. There's not a lot of room for growth there. 

alexander2007
Roxanne A Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
66 of 95

Ya, I just lowered my rate...but maybe I should go even lower. I havent had any results yet. I am getting discouraged. Maybe I need to change my resume around or something...but i worked so hard on that too.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
67 of 95

Roxanne, rather than lowering your rate, work on your profile. Your overview says almost nothing about the services you offer, and a reader has to work to get to that half sentence or so that indicates what field you're in. Clients do not care what your husband does, how you're moving your lives forward or why you've chosen to provide these services. They care what you have to offer them, and you haven't told them.

alexander2007
Roxanne A Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
68 of 95

Thanks! Your right. 

chrisskyes
Chris S Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
69 of 95

@Roxanne A wrote:

Ya, I just lowered my rate...but maybe I should go even lower. I havent had any results yet. I am getting discouraged. Maybe I need to change my resume around or something...but i worked so hard on that too.

For your first job, try getting a fixed rate job which doesn't have a super specific title. That way, even though you might have been paid less for it, nobody would know how much work you actually had to do.

Getting paid $5 for a random job which took an unknown amount of time to do looks a hell of a lot better than working for $5/hour.

I often propose fixed rate amounts to my clients after I've had a look at the project. This way they don't have to worry about overpaying, and I don't have to worry about constantly keeping track with the Upwork software. I deliver on time, for a previously discussed fee. That tends to make clients happier, especially if you're just starting out.

If it's your first job, offering to do a job for a flat fee might encourage a client who may or may not know how long you'd really need to do it.

Hope that helps!

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
70 of 95

Laurel, Roxanne, and anyone else who thinks lowering your rate will get you a job > you are WRONG.

Buyers, just like all consumers, are smart and savvy enough to know that cheap does not equate to usable - and definitely does not equate to good.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS