cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That's killing new freelancers!

c997f982
Kenneth S Member Since: Oct 17, 2017
81 of 95

I think its a 50 50 kind of thing. Its reasonable to think Someone new to the site will want a safe bet and choose an established free lancer with a work history.  But on the flip side if your not from a company , if your just a normal person who wants some work done, you will most likely choose something cheap just to sink your teeth in. Because it is easy , very easy to look at 60$ an hour and go maybe i don't need this. Because you know you need atleast 10 hours to get something decent. The pros of being a new free lancer is you can put your price tag low and get the clients who wants something cheap and go for you. On the otherside if your established your rates are higher and might lose out on alot of gigs because you cost too much. But the gigs they get usually pay for 6-10 of the mall gigs. Put your price tag low and you will get someone to give you a go. 

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
82 of 95

@Kenneth S wrote:

I think its a 50 50 kind of thing. Its reasonable to think Someone new to the site will want a safe bet and choose an established free lancer with a work history. 

Some clients will think that, and some will not. New freelancers who have great Profiles get jobs faster. That's a fact. Job history is not as big of a deal as it might seem.

But on the flip side if your not from a company , if your just a normal person who wants some work done, you will most likely choose something cheap just to sink your teeth in. Because it is easy , very easy to look at 60$ an hour and go maybe i don't need this.

Lowball clients exisit. So do well paying clients who respect us, and pay us what we are worth. Nobody needs to work with Lowball clients.

Because you know you need atleast 10 hours to get something decent. The pros of being a new free lancer is you can put your price tag low and get the clients who wants something cheap and go for you.

You CAN start out with low rates, but most seasoned freelancer will tell you it's not a good idea.  You don't need to get 10 hours of payed time to get something decent. You can accept a great paying job with a great client as your very first contract.

On the otherside if your established your rates are higher and might lose out on alot of gigs because you cost too much. But the gigs they get usually pay for 6-10 of the mall gigs. Put your price tag low and you will get someone to give you a go. 

Getting good jobs with better pay is entirely possible early on. Of course, you have to know how to search for those good clients, and you need to have a really good proposal system, and a wonderful Profile.

Do some new members get good jobs early on? You bet. They are the ones who read all the forum guides and help desk pages. They are not usually not the people writing on the forums, becuase they are too busy reading.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
83 of 95

I suspect a large percentage of clients don't look closely at profiles.  They initially only see the first couple of lines anyway.  Same thing with your proposal.  Make the first two or three lines important and you will begin to see more and more jobs coming your way.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
84 of 95

@Mary W wrote:

I suspect a large percentage of clients don't look closely at profiles.  They initially only see the first couple of lines anyway.  Same thing with your proposal.  Make the first two or three lines important and you will begin to see more and more jobs coming your way.

As someone who sends a lot of private invitations to REAL jobs on behalf of my Upwork clients, I can say that the strength of a profile is what will initially mean I invite, or not.

Things like a well written overview, and if they have a portfolio. Do they have job history that matches their skills. Do they have any bad job history, and when did it happen?

If their Profile is crappy, I move on to the next.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
85 of 95

@Pandora H wrote:

As someone who sends a lot of private invitations to REAL jobs on behalf of my Upwork clients, I can say that the strength of a profile is what will initially mean I invite, or not.

Things like a well written overview, and if they have a portfolio. Do they have job history that matches their skills. Do they have any bad job history, and when did it happen?

If their Profile is crappy, I move on to the next.

A large portion of my clients have done the same as you and actually told me they hired me based on going through my profile - and many have pointed out a specific thing, such as an entry in my employment history or portfolio.  

pandoraharper
Community Guru
86 of 95

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

A large portion of my clients have done the same as you and actually told me they hired me based on going through my profile - and many have pointed out a specific thing, such as an entry in my employment history or portfolio.  

Well you do have a nice profile!. And dang I want those checkmarks! Heh.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
87 of 95
Lol, feel free to copy them if you want! Smiley Happy

Anyway, my point was that sometimes proposals aren't enough and clients do take the time to go through profiles (which helps me, because my proposals suck).
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
88 of 95

@Mary W wrote:

I know for a fact that a significant percentage of my clients have hired me without ever looking at my profile.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
89 of 95

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Mary W wrote:

I know for a fact that a significant percentage of my clients have hired me without ever looking at my profile.

I'm starting to think that's true for a portion of my clients as well. 

pandoraharper
Community Guru
90 of 95

I suppose that for a necro thread, this one has seen a pretty lively resurrection.

At this point, we seem to be in two camps about the "Profile" business, and I wonder if it is fair to say that, as a Marketing tool, it should be not left out of the equation.

From a personal point of view, I want my Proposal, Profile and Portfolio to all say the same thing. 'That I'm the right person for the job'. I know you all can't SEE my profile right now, but based on my hire rate, my 3 P's are covered. (it's just my Upwork rating that has seen better days, arg!).

And imho, that's something I think everyone should do, no matter your skill set, or if you rely on invites or proposals, or have an awesome Portfolio.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS