🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » That turned out well | Suspicious posting
Page options
bizwriterjohn
Community Member

That turned out well | Suspicious posting

'Got an invitation in the writing category.  Across the 600 words this job posting contained -- it was incredibly unclear if this was some "join our group, we'll make sure you'll make money" vs "we are a client who pays contractors".  It most surely sounded like the first.

So I reported the listing as a violation and then promptly put a cannon shot across this job lister's bow.  

"It is unclear that you will pay for work.  There are newcomers and young Upworkers who so very much want their fair shot at winning for-fee work. There is just too big a risk here that your job is not that.  I have reported you to contractor support because it seems you are running an operation that is not freelancer-based."

Two days later- the posting had been altered with BIG CAPITAL LETTERS on top.   And in those BIG CAPITAL LETTERS, this  job poster made it clear: they do pay for the relationship-based work.

We are not defenseless against scammers.  They use relatively crude tactics that can be spotted with a bit of experience.  Upwork has a six-figure-budgeted Trust and Safety Department and Steve Chin's people run a tight ship.  Report suspected scammers.  Each time.  Immediately.

Now, I will proceed with an application.  And yes, the firm will look at my writing wares - among others -- as many positions are available.  They got it.  I am about protecting young ones and newcomers.

A positive spirit and helping when we can -- without being mean -- the ROI is always positive.

John.

0 REPLIES 0
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members