Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 90% "job success score"

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
21 of 48

Hi Saba,

Welcome to Upwork! Please check out these helpful blog articles to help you write winning proposals, improve your profile and tips on how to be successful on Upwork. Also, check out this thread for help getting started on Upwork and tips to avoid questionable jobs.  Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance.

~ Joanne
Upwork
cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
22 of 48

Scott, like Amy said, this is the default setting when a client creates a job. Some clients (like me) will change it, and some won't. Regardless, that doesn't mean you can't apply. You can still apply and write a great cover letter and your proposal will still show for the client.

davidd1008
Community Leader
David D Member Since: Jun 8, 2016
23 of 48

A client can say they want a 90% JSS but you can still apply. 

Any of those preferences (whether they're there by default or not) do not preclude you from still applying to them. Write a killer proposal and they'll hire you regardless. 

I realize that's easier said than done. Truth is you will apply to far more jobs than you will get. It's a numbers game. Be selective, only go after gigs you know you can do and do well, don't overreach. Build up your feedback to good, respectable numbers, and you'll have a better go of it down the line. 

walkerrowe
Community Guru
Walker R Member Since: Sep 30, 2015
24 of 48

I think the JSS is screwing up things in several ways.  Not having that Top Rated Badge is killing me.

It used to be that I was winning 20% of jobs I bid on.  Since June that number has fallen off dramatically.  What happened was I did not know you were supposed to close old jobs with no activity.  So when I finally looked up what my JSS was it was 82 while my feedback average was 4.85.  I also did not know it was important to get client feedback.

So after deleting those closed jobs my JSS rose to 89%.  But I've had two pissed off cients this month who flamed me.  So I expect it to sink.  (That is another bad part of having a low JSS.  It causes you to bid on jobs where you are getting clients who you know can be trouble.  So it makes the situation worse.)

Ergo, I think clients are looking at that Top Rate flag and skipping everyone else.  

Not good.  Fortunately I keeping finding work outside of Upwork.  If I was 100% dependent on Upwork I would be in a tough situation now.  Here on Upwork I am having long streaks of time without find any work.  On eLance I found all the work I ever needed.  And it was here that way too up until perhaps June.  And I am also noticing that jobs I bid on are increasing having 5-10 or 15-20 proposals.  It used to be that they all had 5 or less, because I only bid on very specific tech writing IT jobs that require the skills they are talking about.

Anyway my strategy is to keep plugging away and wait for the JSS to go up, slowly, slowly, slowly and reach Top Rated.  I think Upwork is damaging people who are in the 80-89 range by pushing clients to award work to people who are 90 and greater.

Walker

karinskold
Community Guru
Karin S Member Since: Dec 6, 2009
25 of 48

Dont give up. My score droped due to a strange client. But I can say it has not affected my chances to get a project or not. In fact it is the same. Even when I had the Top Rated batch it wasnt any difference from without it. 

I dont think it matters so much really.

odenirexport
Odenir F Member Since: Nov 7, 2015
26 of 48

The job success score was the worst thing that happened to Upwork. You have 5 stars, but the system automatically calculates a low job success score. Sad. I had clients before this new system... I hope Upwork comes back one day to the old star system, which makes more sense. I will try the Upwork again after about a year...

dorilou25
Dori H Member Since: Oct 8, 2017
27 of 48

Hello,

I am new to upwork. How can I obtain a high job success score since I am brand new to this site?

Thank you.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
28 of 48

@Dori H wrote:

Hello,

I am new to upwork. How can I obtain a high job success score since I am brand new to this site?

The same as everyone else, apply, get awarded contracts, do a great job on them, nd eventually you'll get a job success score...

steiner-tobias
Tobias Paul S Member Since: Apr 23, 2018
29 of 48

I'm new as well.  Every single job post I've found has this 90% "job success score" attribute set and that is preventing me from even applying.  Would love to know what my options are.  I have expert experience in my field yet I can't even get an application submitted to even the most basic of jobs listed here.  Thank you kindly for your help.

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
30 of 48

Hi Tobias,

The 90% Job Success Score preference that you see on job posts is only a preference, not a requirement. You needn't let it hold you back from applying to a job. If you're interested in a job with this preference and confident about your ability to complete the project then feel free to apply to it.

~Nina
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS