petermurray

The Curious Case of Account Holds...

Hi,

Today I received a request to verify my account information for a reason I am not sure about. This is the first time this has happened to me since I became a member on "oDesk" in 2012. The only viable reason that comes to mind involves a recent contract I had. Client shared some work he needed done 2 months ago - after setting up contract, of course.

I did it to their satisfaction, exceeding expectation as I always do. Seriously, I'm being modest here. Apparently, so taken aback by the level of quality that he opted to give me 150 articles to write. I know, it's a whopping lot of work!

Problem is, it was low-grade pay at the end of it. I did point this out to him, and he agreed to bump it up. Still, it was a rate I never worked at before, even when I was starting out. Communication ensued via Upwork Messaging, and I gave him my best price - Meet that, and we're in business.

And that's when the lead went cold.

Wouldn't have been a problem, only issue was, he had set up a milestone for this work (from the maiden contract).

It was not until the Sunday of August 20 that they resumed conversation in the form of terminating the contract. I naturally proceeded to leave him some feedback, and him me - 5* public feedback is what I was served, if you're curious, but I could bet the private one wasn't as desirable. No matter.

What else I did was respond to client's request to reimburse the funds set up in the milestone, which I duly obliged. So happened that this is the same weekend that Upwork refreshes the Job Success Score.

Next thing I know, the rating had dipped from where it normally hovers at (100%) to 92%. Two days later (22/08/2017) I receive the dreaded message that my account was being put on hold as identity verification was in the pipeline. Just off doing that.

My issues:

1. Why is Upwork, or rather its algorithm, always so eager to drop the Job Success Score in such dramatic fashion? I can tell you for sure it would take at least three successful contracts to get this back to 100%. My guess is that returning the funds in Escrow had a hand in this since none of the three parties involved was having their lunch - not freelancer, not client, and definitely not Upwork.

2. Once what was once a golden account is reinstated to normal, am I going to get my Top-rated status back? I ask because I saw in one of the Help Center articles that after an account hold it normally takes 90 days to earn back the badge. In my case, Upwork is the cause of the account hold - I did not instigate this. So, should I take the fall for something that is not of my doing, or are there exceptions to this party rule?

Thank you,

~Aggrieved

22 REPLIES 22
keltonpeter

Upwork is testing a verification system. The part that lets them pause your work is probably illegal and I’ve so advised. Hopefully as they develop the verification system (designed to weed out fakes) they will stop interrupting our work and simply verify without intruding. I’ve suggested they simply notify you of the pending verification and ask for cooperation. If you don’t verify, then they would have legal grounds to suspend your account. – Peter Kelton

If only the word of the mere mortal carried some weight Peter: "Who dare stand in front of MEEE...I shall cast thee aside into a pit of lava no less and watch thee burn!"

Seriously though, it's sad.

@Peter K wrote:

The part that lets them pause your work is probably illegal 

Lol 🙂

Illegal 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

re: "Upwork is testing a verification system. The part that lets them pause your work is probably illegal and I’ve so advised."

Peter, you don't need to use a word like that here.

@Preston H wrote:

re: "Upwork is testing a verification system. The part that lets them pause your work is probably illegal and I’ve so advised."

Peter, you don't need to use a word like that here.

I think it's fine to use a word like that if the behavior in question is illegal, or arguably illegal.

This is not that.

colettelewis

Perhaps it is the feedback.  If you let us see your profile, maybe we could give you an idea - but the algorithm moves more mysteriously than God (who one day will have his revenge!).

Profile doesn't show? Here kindly: https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01845b0763b24a7076/

(They say He got a sense of humor, but He has His work cut out here!)

It's that most recent contract: "Need a creative writer"

versailles

Upwork wants to verify all the freelancers. This may take some time, but everyone will be verified eventually. Why they have to put accounts on hold, I don't know. Maybe they don't do that for everyone and maybe they do, I don't know.

But I definitely want them to verify everyone.

-----------
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Peter, 

I can confirm that there is no connection between any of your contracts and the request to verify the information on your profile. Requests to verify profiles are sent randomly and the goal is eventually verify all profiles on the platform.

We won't be able to share which contract caused your JSS to decrease. Note however, that you are still Top Rated and the badge is showing on your account.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Peter, 

I can confirm that there is no connection between any of your contracts and the request to verify the information on your profile. Requests to verify profiles are sent randomly and the goal is eventually verify all profiles on the platform.

We won't be able to share which contract caused your JSS to decrease. Note however, that you are still Top Rated and the badge is showing on your account.

Of course the question of why Upwork has to interrupt jobs to take care of verification has not been addressed here (or anywhere else, as far as I'm aware). An explanation as to why contracts have to be paused would be appreciated by many of us.

And with 12,000, or 1,200 (or whatever the number is) freelancers signing up every day, how can all profiles ever be verified? That seems an unreachable goal.

Virginia,

When a freelancer is requested to verify their profile information, their ability to work on their contract isn't paused. They can continue working on their active contracts but won't be able to apply for new jobs until they verify.

@Virginia F wrote:

And with 12,000, or 1,200 (or whatever the number is) freelancers signing up every day, how can all profiles ever be verified? That seems an unreachable goal.

We are still prepared to achieve it. The program has already shown tremendously positive results in identifying fake profiles.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Virginia,

When a freelancer is requested to verify their profile information, their ability to work on their contract isn't paused. They can continue working on their active contracts but won't be able to apply for new jobs until they verify.

@Virginia F wrote:

We are still prepared to achieve it. The program has already shown tremendously positive results in identifying fake profiles.

I don't doubt the good results, as I've seen some in action ... but for every new profile verified, there are however many more signing up. Unless there's a moratorium on new profiles ...

And thanks for the other explanation ... I guess I misunderstood this, because some freelancers overreact.  Smiley Embarassed

One solution would be to verify everybody proactively.

Then whenever anybody wants to sign up as an Upwork freelancer, they would already be verified.

Yes ... that's been suggested many times and would seem to be the logical answer. But for some reason that suggestion hasn't seemed to fly.

@Preston H wrote:

Then whenever anybody wants to sign up as an Upwork freelancer, they would already be verified.

@Virginia F wrote:

Yes ... that's been suggested many times and would seem to be the logical answer. But for some reason that suggestion hasn't seemed to fly.

@Preston H wrote:

It's not rocket science. While they are at it, they should also probably think seriously about verifying client payment methods before the said client can go about posting jobs, a good deal of which, as we too well know, are nothing but shoddy.

re: "While they are at it, they should also probably think seriously about verifying client payment methods before the said client can go about posting jobs, a good deal of which, as we too well know, are nothing but shoddy."

That is an unrelated matter. And has been discussed extensively already in the Forum.

@Valeria K wrote:

Virginia,

But WHY would the ability of a successful, long-term freelancer to bid on new work be abruptly interrupted without warning? Why on earth could you not simply provide 48 or 72 hours notice and let the freelancer know that bidding WOULD be locked if they didn't verify before that time? The incentive is just as great, but active freelancers wouldn't lose out on opportunities due to a random timing issue.

@Virginia F wrote:

When the word spreads out that you can't use fake profiles on Upwork anymore, there may be a significant decrease in new sign-ups.

-----------

@Valeria K wrote:

Peter, 

Valeria,

You flatter. That status is still Top Rated because this just happened. It will be plummeting in a fortnight when that algorithm is done with it.

The big issue is, and I'd be most happy if you could address this, if the goal is to verify user profiles, why leave a trail of destruction in the wake, a trail one cannot get themselves out of for a. Full. 90. Days? 90! Why not just go about the whole thing quietly without messing up people's hard work? You can do it every day for all I care...No one has an issue with their profile being verified, if you ask around, but name me one person who would be eager to go through with it if s/he told was told they would be losing their Top-rated status.

Is it a case of Big Corp. impunity? "Meh, let's go ahead, they'll do nothing." What is it then?

Peter,

The 90 days effect of account holds doesn't apply to you at all as your account was placed on hold not due to ToS violation but for profile verification. If you go to your My Stats page you'll see this:

Screenshot_12.png

Which means that there hasn't been any account holds on your account in the last 90 days that would affect your JSS.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Peter,

The 90 days effect of account holds doesn't apply to you at all as your account was placed on hold not due to ToS violation but for profile verification. If you go to your My Stats page you'll see this:

Screenshot_12.png

Which means that there hasn't been any account holds on your account in the last 90 days that would affect your JSS.

Oh...

Well, we wait then...

That's useful info that would be nice to include in that email thread - as much as I loathe using this cliche -   "going  forward".

Update this in the next fortnight, for those who come after us.

Thank you very much Valeria - and to you Community.

~Honored. Truly.