lysis10

The Elance article scammer has arrived to Upwork

I just got notified by upwork. On the surface, it looks fine, so I think if I flag it, it will get ignored. So, I'm posting it here. Look at the guy's work history, and as usual he has a verified payment. This is why I don't like hourly. 

**edited for Community Guidelines**

The funny part is looking at the logged hours from other people in his other jobs. Some people are smart enough to use the Tracker software, but check out the people with things like 19 hours logged on jobs that were just posted a day ago. LOL Scammer scamming the scammer with manual time. LOL

16 REPLIES 16
lysis10

and that title typo is gonna drive me crazy

ugh I need more coffee before job hunting

This one was the curse of Elance and he/she posted from various countries. I think there are soon going to be a few unhappy campers coming to the forum.

Upwork should review the people in the job list too. One guy has 24 hours logged on a job that was posted only a day ago. I mean, come on. Really not probable. I suppose it's possssible but some red flags on that provider.

@Nichola L wrote:

This one was the curse of Elance and he/she posted from various countries. I think there are soon going to be a few unhappy campers coming to the forum.

I think you'll find he is always posting from the same country..... he just PRETENDS to be in different ones.

"I think you'll find he is always posting from the same country..... he just PRETENDS to be in different ones."

I realize that! It has been the subject of several threads on the Elance forum. But to pretend to be from other countries, you have to change your IP, otherwise it would get picked up at some stage.

@Nichola L wrote:

"I think you'll find he is always posting from the same country..... he just PRETENDS to be in different ones."

I realize that! It has been the subject of several threads on the Elance forum. But to pretend to be from other countries, you have to change your IP, otherwise it would get picked up at some stage.

I know you realise that.

Shame for him he used his real country's IPs on Skype 🙂

sk-andaleeb

I also highlighted this job in a recent thread, but it is still active in the job postings. All new freelancers are billing hours to the client at crazy rates. Clients do not usually pay you 25$/hour and many of them have billed over 20 hours in the last day. I request Upwork to look at this job and remove it asap. 

sk-andaleeb

Did you receive a notification from Upwork?

petra_r

and sorted!

until next time

Oh really? Yeah, that's why I'm posting it here, because flagging it never seems to work even though the guy posts the same message usually.

SK, yep, got notification on it! The people billing crazy hours won't get paid anyway and they will be moaning on here that they got scammed even though they are scamming themselves. 

Sorted

stencil_media

If the scammed are trying to track down the client or their work, they'll usually find that it's sold on via iWriter. Just so they know. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

Is it possible to track the client via iwriter?

Possibly. I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I'm guessing freelancers and clients will have profiles and if there's a job in the list for somebody to write an article on cats wearing baseball caps while eating chicken pizzas and you've been hired to write an article on cats wearing baseball caps while eating chicken pizzas then it should be easier to at leats find out where your stuff is going. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for reporting, Jennifer. Actions have been taken against this client and the team is monitoring accounts that may be linked as well.

~ Valeria
Upwork

No problem, Valeria!

And to follow up with what Scott said, if anyone needs to file a DMCA with Google for stolen content and the content is anywhere on the home page, file your dispute on the home page of the site. Nothing gets someone so enraged as when their home page gets removed due to DMCAs, and it's a PITA to get it back.